Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2234 recone kit in E 145 baskets

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hello MoD;

Since you have some unknowns why not assemble the cone kits in the frames and before you install the dust caps run them a bit and see where they are, and then decide if and how much mass to add.

I don’t recall if these are going to be used as subs or used in a multiway speaker?

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Thanx for answers so far, i find them very valuable.

It looks those speakers will be mine. So, a little digression to the topic; can original e 145 recone kit be installed in e 145 frames with missing extension rings?

I am still very motivated to try to install 2234 kits in those frames, or at least le 15 kits with 2234 coil. Or le 15 recone kits Dough, it would be good to know all options before purchasing recone kits.
    do not surrender never, except when you have to

Quote Originally Posted by MoD View Post
    ...can original e 145 recone kit be installed in e 145 frames with missing extension rings?...
    No they cannot.

Barry.

@ 1audiohack;It is going to be used in two way with 2344 horn and 2425 compression driver. I will send speaker to local speaker service. Deal is to measure Fs before dust cup is attached.@ Earl K;I tought, I new basic obout T/S parameters, but, I was wrong. Had no idea about MMD and airload. But with what You said, it looks MMS with airload should be ok. With that, if speakers will not measure right Fs I think it will not be due to MMS, but because wrong suspension compliance. And voice coil. After market coil winding is 0,375" and should be 0,313". At this point I think I will not add mass to speaker, but...

Yes, logical. Thnx.

Smart move would be to start looking foe LE15 recone kits.

I am not that smart. So I went searching and looking, google, this site (that search just wont work, or it is working on intelligence...) after a quite a lot i started thinking like this. E 145 magnet structure is (not so advanced design, but...) similar to 2227/ME150H. E145 plate thickness 15,2mm, 2227/ME150 13mm, so I was thinking; LE 15 surround and cone, 2234 spider and voice coil. It would be cool (to me ) to try that combination, take t/s measurements, and take a listen...

I wonder if there is difference in LE15a and 2234 cones, they look same to me, but I do not have experience, all I do is taking screwd speakers (except those 2227) and install aftermarket cones...

Hello MoD;

I think, if it were me, I would leave them as light as possible for the best midrange extension and EQ them to your taste.

Barry.

There is a difference if only the paper. The JBL 2234/35 cones are made by Hitachi and the paper is very stiff/hard by specific design. Somewhere I have the text of a conversation with George Augspurger about the creation of the 2235.

I don’t know if the cone geometry is the same.

Barry.

There's no doubt the E145 motors are worth owning. Personally I'd install an under-hung cone kit ( short-coil ) into those motors.

That said, because of the extra deep ( .6" ) gap depth > when a long coil ( really anything more than .28" ) is installed into that large a magnetic force > then the mid-range response will rise dramatically.

Take a look at the 2020h as an example of what to expect ( remember it's only .5" deep and it's also a smaller 3" diameter coil ).

The net result of such an experiment ( 2234 coil in the E145 ) will be the need to lather up the cone ( weigh-it-down ) with a thick coating of aquaplas substitute ( to level out the dramatic midrange rise > as was done with the ME150H ).

Yes, I think that would be the smartest way.Today evening I will be taking out rcf parts recone kits from baskets and tomorrow going to recone shop with the lot. I am going to save rcf parts recone kits, I have one rcf 15" frame, and plan to do some experimenting. some day.

I had feeling that I am missing something. I was presumptioning that longer coil will give less overdumped speaker and by that more bass extension.
    But your observation about ME150 is right.

So that leaves little maneuvering space. It seem logical to try to find extension rings (long shot), so I could go with "original" recone kits, or go straight for LE 15 recone kits.

Thread Information