Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
Very Cool!! A new capacitor thread for the incoming New Year ( & I'm not being intentionally facetious ).

Todd, I'm curious, what sort of Motor-Run cap are you referring to ( Oil-Can as you call it ) ??
- PIO ( Paper in Oil ) or the more modern MPP in Oil ( Metallized PolyPropylene in Oil ) ??

To see if you can reduce the inherent HF hash that you're experiencing from the Audyn's Q4, give it some DC voltage for a day ( let it act as a battery for 24-48 hours so that the windings can swell and tighten-up somewhat ) >> use 18volts ( or more ) derived from some 9Volt batteries.
- Just make sure that you fully discharge that capacitor before putting it back into the HF circuit ( we don't want to hear about you damaging those nice AMT's ).

Tightening the capacitors windings can noticeably reduce some of the UHF hash ( also sparkle ) since these small inconsistencies in the winding tension can act like a mechanical generator for High-Q resonances
( offering an effect much like the
Aphex Aural Exciter and how it was initially used in Studio Work starting way back in the late 1970's )

Just be aware, any capacitor ( that I've done this to ) never returns completely back to it's ( like-new, "fresh off the line" >> sparkly ) state .

Consider the DC treatment a form of accelerated capacitor "break-in" .

PS >> Happy New Year!!

The oil can caps were historic 4.0 Cornell Dublier, 1,500 volt that I had piggybacked 0.69 ClarityCap, 630 volt, to make up the difference for comparison.

This afternoon, I removed the Audyns and put in the Mundorf EOV Oils. I use 5% silver solder, and before things were just alligator clipped in place on a 20 foot switch cable. (Hmmmm, maybe the alligator clip from the + to the Mundorf had a high resistance crimp and that could make it a bit quieter compared to the Audyn that was soldered in, even though I swapped the 20 foot switch leads.)

Later I listened to "Aja" (SACD), "Passion Play" (CD), and "Tank/Lucky Man" (CD) and heard none of the hash, though I'm betting some cuts will still exhibit some. "Tank" is a real "go to" for me and the soundstage and imaging are really wild if your system can do it. On some systems, it just sounds like noise.

But the Audyn may have been experiencing some High-Q resonances as evidenced by the way the RTA increases in various areas. If this is in fact the case, isn't it also possible that those caps that go to ground also experience this and if so, could lead to a "wavyier" roll-off? Would it accomplish anything to subject these "by-pass" caps to a similar "DC treatment"?