Thread: ebay recone kit, 2234/2235, aquaplas, cone weight

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by patallen View Post
    So just to answer myself, 105G for the 2234h moving mass including everithing on a kitchen scale is good enough altough 30hz for self resonance after a moderate break-in period indicate a stiffer suspension (i wont use any technical words anymore so to not trigger the karens)

My old 2225H cone assembly measuring 105G too is probably "too heavy" due to too much impregnated beer and cigarette tar imbeded onto the cone (it stinks like if i where into a 70's rockabilly bar), otherwise it will remain a mystery and is responsible of my confusion.

thanks.
    Cool patallen,

Your mystery 2225 recone will remain a mystery ( though FWIW, that rust-colored banding or glueline on the back is much more typical of a very specific generation of the 2226HPL woofer ).

Also, as a continuing mystery, I've never seen a 2225 where the surround became unglued like yours has ( it looks like an adhesive failure to me ) & I've used 2205//2225's since the middle 1970's ( starting with the Alnico model ).

Back in the "Golden-Years" of JBL warranty claims here in Canada, I'm confident that "Gould-Marketing" would have accepted a claim ( from a qualified reconer ) for a free recone kit on your behalf.

Any possibility some one tried to repair that? Every JBL cone I have has a black adhesive band. I am no expert but how thick is that brown stuff? It looks like is has an edge. Or re-edge it?

Just a thought.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Any possibility some one tried to repair that? Every JBL cone I have has a black adhesive band. I am no expert but how thick is that brown stuff? It looks like is has an edge. Or re-edge it?

Just a thought.

Rob
    impossible to tell, i bought it from ebay as is to be reconed (dead). it is not thick at all. just normal and dry i would say, compared to others in hand.
    i have 6 other 2225h and some J, gray basket and black, dates codes from 1984 up to 1990, all of them have this brown marking visible on the back of the cone where the suspension meets the cone.
    They comes from all over the planet from various sources. you can see one of them other 2225 on the picture of the cone assembly. same color. i doubt it is a coincidence.

Thread Information