Thread: 4367 and two Crown I-Tech5000HD

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi Silvanik,

My advice ( if you want to go 100% active-DSP ) would be to contact Harman International > get a recommendation from them for a qualified Synthesis technician for your area and then contract that person to design for you the crossover topology and DSP settings for your iTech-HD amps ( to drive your 4367 speakers ).

Ignoring that advice, your two amps can easily be used to drive the internal passive crossovers in a Passive BiAmp mode. The improvement here will be incremental, but should still be audible.

The next level of improvement would be to go with a pretty straightforward active crossover arrangement as the 4367's lowpass ( using the built-in DSP//crossover capabilities of your iTech amps > of course, you need to disconnect the existing LowPass for the woofer before hooking up the LF amplifier, as well as, removing the connecting buss-bars on the back of the box that connect the Hi + Low crossover sections ).
    - Maintain the HF section as a Passive Biamp arrangement ( with a separate amp driving the builtin HiPass crossover )
    - The audible improvement here should be substantial ( if done correctly ) by removing the power-robbing passive parts between the amp and the woofer.
    - IME, this arrangement offers the best sonics of all 3 possibilities ( I find that generally, compression drivers benefit from the use of passive components > in the home environment ) .

I think your problem here in this conversation, is that "you-don't-know-what-you-don't-know" ( IOW, you're drastically under-estimating the amount of work and knowledge that's required to get good results ).
    - Others have tried to gently tell you just how out of whack your expectations are, so maybe it's starting to sink in.

Here's a ( quite basic ) first pass at creating a usable LowPass for the 4367 ( 4 different bits of software were involved just to get to this result > which ate up 3-4 hours of my time, mostly in the curve-matching exercise and learning some new software > [ "AudioArchitect" ] ).
    - Yes, to achieve the "acoustic crossover of @ 700hz", does require an "electronic crossover" to be set to @ 500hz .

I've also ( zipped ) this configuration file ( called a ".device" file ) for this lowpass and have included it here.
    - Unzip it, load this file onto a memory stick > then load that file into your amp(s) dsp section > all assuming that those iTechs can accept USB memory sticks and this sort of file .

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Files Attached Files

https://www.audioheritage.org/vbulle...l=1#post447424

Response from Greg Timbers

Ian,

I did not spend any time active on the 4367. However, his suggestion of direct driving the woofer and using the passive HF network is good. He could also drive both drivers directly with the crown. I would suggest a 10 db resistor pad on the HF. It will be too noisy to drive directly and a bit dangerous. Should be pretty easy to do.
    Sent from my iPad

Thread Information