Thread: Sean Olive Interview

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Hello Derek

Yeah it's odd the jump with 15" drivers. I have the same bass drivers as the your 813C in my active 4 way system E-145 and 2235's. They make a very nice combo with the snap of the E-145's and the weight of the 2235.

So it's a different sound for sure more tactile more energy in the room best way I can describe it.

Smaller systems have their place. I could never fit 15's in my livingroom where my Revels are. Even then they have a sub to do the "heavy lifting" which helps.

Rob
    "Snap of the E-145's.." - I think you nailed it. The E-145 is rather magical to me and "snap" is a great term to describe them. Although the 813's use lowly 2215's. I have kicked around the idea of swapping 2235's in, but was told to keep the 2215's and enjoy the 813's as they are.

Agreed. As much as I'd love to have 813's downstairs where the TV is, I don't have the space. So 811C's stacked on top of subwoofers it is.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    "Snap of the E-145's.." - I think you nailed it. The E-145 is rather magical to me and "snap" is a great term to describe them. Although the 813's use lowly 2215's. I have kicked around the idea of swapping 2235's in, but was told to keep the 2215's and enjoy the 813's as they are.

Agreed. As much as I'd love to have 813's downstairs where the TV is, I don't have the space. So 811C's stacked on top of subwoofers it is.

Oh didn't realize it was 2215's my mistake. Nothing lowly about them also use an underhung coil just like the E-145s. That was good advice not to change them.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Good to know. Seems every thread I've read suggests the 2235 as superior in all aspects and thus an upgrade. I'm on the look-out for NOS recone kits for mine...

Good to know. Seems every thread I've read suggests the 2235 as superior in all aspects and thus an upgrade. I'm on the look-out for NOS recone kits for mine...
    Good luck on the cone kits, there should be some stashed around. The 2235 is a late 70's early 80's driver? Came after 2231. The 2215's have their roots back in the 60's so very different drivers. With 2235's you get more x-max, more power handling, with the 2215 you get a significant jump in sensitivity lower moving mass more similar to 2234.

You are using subs so why mess with the "helper" woofer.

Rob

A million years ago I had a bunch of LE15As (consumer version of the 2215) over time I changed them out for 2235Hs. The 2235Hs dig a little deeper and can certainly take more power, but looking back on it, I am not convinced that the 2235H was a subjective improvement.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Good luck on the cone kits, there should be some stashed around. The 2235 is a late 70's early 80's driver? Came after 2231. The 2215's have their roots back in the 60's so very different drivers. With 2235's you get more x-max, more power handling, with the 2215 you get a significant jump in sensitivity lower moving mass more similar to 2234.

You are using subs so why mess with the "helper" woofer.

Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    A million years ago I had a bunch of LE15As (consumer version of the 2215) over time I changed them out for 2235Hs. The 2235Hs dig a little deeper and can certainly take more power, but looking back on it, I am not convinced that the 2235H was a subjective improvement.

Widget
    "A million years ago." Great to know! That'll squelch any remaining curiosity I had in swapping to 2235's. Guess it's like Rob said, I'm using subs so there's no need to swap. Perhaps the higher sensitivity is why they used the 2215 in the 813C? It's been a damn fine system, I have no complaints about the 2215's. I was just drinking the "upgrade" Kool-Aid. If I could get my hands on two NOS 2215 recone kits, that would be dandy. I check HiFi Shark and eBay weekly, but no dice so far.

I’ve heard Rob’s set up with the E-145. It’s definitely a fast driver & perfect for mid base.

Speaking of reviews Erin has pissed off loudspeaker manufacturer Tekton.

I am posting this because l feel it’s important to understand the perspective between the on-line or You-Tube reviewer and the loudspeaker manufacturer. How these aspiring online reviewers operate and interact with manufacturers is quite different to legitimate reviews arranged directly with the manufacturer.

The weird thing is that Sean Olive brought up the risk of litigation when reviewing a loudspeaker during the interview. Erin seems to ad lib his understanding of the subject matter & projects the impression he’s treading into uncharted waters with his online enterprise.

I think Eric the owner of Tekton makes some really pertinent points in this vid clip below and provides a great perspective on the misunderstandings that can occur with unsolicited reviews involving publication of measurements and the scrutiny that can unfold.

In the other hand Steve Guttenberg who is an industry veteran and journalist has successfully delivered thousands of reviews without a hitch.

It really is about the listening. Let your ears tell you if you like what you’re hearing.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=I5qj09yT...z5bx2d5zYzS03e

https://youtube.com/watch?v=I5qj09yT...z5bx2d5zYzS03e

https://tektondesign.com/products/

Hello Ian

I would look at both sides.

And it's not just Erin it's issues with another review of one of his speakers done by Amir at ASW and a third review as well.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f....48732/page-78 Post 1558

With ASR ongoing go through the thread and decide for yourself what's going on.

Rob

Thread Information