Thread: 2416H 2417H Modern Direct Replacement?

2416H 2417H Modern Direct Replacement?

Is there anything made that is a direct replacement for a 2416H driver? I bought a beat up pair of SR4722 speakers for my garage or basement. One has a beat up 2416H, and the other has a blown 2417H. It seems like the 2416 is way more common than the original 2417, they even make cheap aftermarket copies. I also see Selenium makes a driver with the same thread pattern that will physically work. Has anyone swapped their original drivers for the Chinese clones, or the Selenium with success?

I would like to keep everything original JBL, however one new 2416H is worth more than the speakers. There are a few used ones on eBay, but I haven't had much luck with buying used audio on eBay.

I would even consider changing the horn, but I would need something that would work with the SR4722 crossovers.

That's a tuff spot. There are later thread on's but don't know how low and if the compensation curve will match the driver. Can't believe how expensive they are! You could do aftermarket diaphragms to get started have you looked for OEM replacements on Ebay?

If you can, find a cheap pair or 2425S's or 2426's as an upgrade that will work. You can get JBL replacement diaphragm's both 8 and 16

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    That's a tuff spot. There are later thread on's but don't know how low and if the compensation curve will match the driver. Can't believe how expensive they are! You could do aftermarket diaphragms to get started have you looked for OEM replacements on Ebay?

If you can, find a cheap pair or 2425S's or 2426's as an upgrade that will work. You can get JBL replacement diaphragm's both 8 and 16

Rob
    There is a new OEM 2415H diaphragm on eBay right now, I'm not sure what the difference is? The 2417H diaphragm will not fit the 2416H motor because the phase plug is taller.

The complete aftermarket drivers on eBay made by LASE are only $50.00 plus $27.00 shipping. I may buy one to experiment. From what I have read the aftermarket stuff isn't that good, but these are only garage speakers, and my ears aren't that good.

I see why most of these old speakers are parted out now. The parts are way more valuable than the complete speaker.

Quickly, checked some JBL listings for whatever equivalent or replacement, no luck. Plus 2417 not on it so no hope there. However 2415 and 2416 are present.

FYI, diaphragm wise 2415 is D8R2415, 2416 D8R2416, BUT the list also says D8R2415 is a possible alternative for 2416 ! True or typo i don't know. No critic intended but could it be a user error?

Short story. I was looking for a possible tweeter replacement. One of the known aftermarket places had one which they presented as a virtually drop-in. Among the little specs given DCR and power capacity were pretty off, plus the quality didn't seem that good, so no deal. Maybe you can get some driver data for the aftermarket? I have factory DCR for the original 2415 and 2416 if need be. It sure doesn't tell everything but its one step forward at least.

Food for thought.

Richard