Thread: L100A brilliance and presence setting help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

L100A brilliance and presence setting help

I used to have the L25 Prima way back - but was a fool to sell them when I had to move. 1 month ago I descided to get a second hand pair of the L25 since I kinda lost my interest in music and missed the good old JBL sound, but changed my mind when I red about the L100.

Found a mint pair of L100A serial 294624 A and 298221 A, I think they are L100A "late" ?? Paid 500 USD less shipment.

Now - how do I set the PRESENCE and BRILLIANCE settings to neutral ? Scale is from 0 to 10 on both - on all other L100 models I have seen the scale is from -5 to +5.

By the way, they sound realy great and better than the L25 - my good old records are ALIVE again
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Tweak to taste:

"Presence" is your mid-range control. "Brilliance" is the high frequency (tweeter) control. Tweak as desired to achieve the sound you like in your listening environment.

Start with them both in the middle, perhaps, and adjust from there by listening. There's no way to ascertain "flat" without instrumentation to measure it....

I think that JBL intended for them to be set in the center, which ends up with both dots at the left. I prefer to turn down the midrange a bit from there though. The early version had laboratory standard positions marked, but I dont think that the response was any flatter with those settings. I'd suggest to trust your ears, and set them to the position that sounds best to you.

Thanks for the suggestions - sounds logical. Wonder why they changed the scale on my "lates" - anybody have some info on this story ?

According to George Augspurger, the mid control should be set to around 4, and the high control to about 7 for flat response, if I remember correctly.

I have a relatively early pair of L100a - and the "owner's manual" for same. The manual simply states that you should set the brilliance and presence controls to the "laboritory standard" (marked on the foil plate)and adjust from there to suit your listening environment. The manual even makes mention of the "clap test" which just goes to show that standard approaches to testing accoustics haven't changed much in 30 years. However, I agree with Don C that flat is probably as he suggests. I think that the settings he mentions were those specified for the 4310.
    I don't think there is a manual for the L100a anywhere on the Heritage site. I will submit one in the next week or so - can't do earlier as I am presently working away from home - then you can havea a look for yourself.

But does it have the 0 to 10 scale ? There are no such marking on mine - just the scale from 0 to 10.

Thread Information