I was treated today to a demonstration of a 1200 Watt class D amplifier. Having been involved in electronics for over 30 years, it took me a minute to remember my classes of operation, class A - signal output for 360 degrees of input cycle, class AB signal output of more than 180 degrees and less than 270, class B signal output for 180 degrees of input cycle, class C, less than 180 degrees of output and my memory failed me ( and I later remembered why) for class D. I later remembered that it was because the output is terrible ( or was) with regard to fidelity.
The demonstration I listened to showed me that the fidelity was anything but terrible.
I put my skepticism in my pocket and listened. The sound I heard was not distorted. I confess I was not familiar with the program material used for the demonstration, but the trumpets sounded like trumpets, the drums sounded, well like drums should.
Afterward, I touched the amp case. Tentatively at first, expecting heat, but found that the amp was merely warm, and they had been driven rather hard feeding a pair of 15" subwoofers and a pair of 3 way speakers besides.
When I returned home I did a search on the net for class D amps and found that there have been some significant advances in this area.
I'm sure by now you're asking "what's your question ?". My question is simply:
Has anyone here played with any class D amps in the last 2 years and what was your experiance?