Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The ultimate CD-player!?

pangea
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisaire
    Perhaps I don't sufficiently trained ears yet , I can't hear jitter or sharp ssssss's. Who knows? SInce the preamp will take 3 sources simultaneously, I'll soon be able to do a A/B/C comparison of three units at the same time using three copies of the same songs.
    Listen to Diana Krall's voice, she's got a sharp S, which usually reveals a cheap CD-player right away.

The thing about jitter, is that you most likely won't hear it until it's gone, a bit like the fan in a big office building, that you won't notice until it's turned off.

If you have a certain high class record, on both CD and vinyl, you first play a song on the CD-player and then switch over to play the same song on vinyl.
    Then you'll know what jitter is.

BR
    Roland

Cool! I'll check into it further.

Quote Originally Posted by pangea
    I have never heard a PS2 being used as a CD-player, but from what I've read, the early PS1 models are much better and before all, much more vinyl like in their presentation, due to their lack of jitter.

So, if you dig vinyl sound, I think you should try to get an early PS1 for comparison at least and also be amazed.

BR
    Roland
    Well, I suppose $15 or so would be worth it. I'll get back to you.

I really like my PS2 as a CD player. I hate the interface, using a TV and all. The sound though, beats the hell out of my fathers Sony 101 disk changer that he let me borrow for a while.

Fishstink

Smile I'm A Believer!

I was skeptical until I found a 10001 and tried it. My friend and I were bowled over by the sonics. The difference is very noticeable. Have not done any mods like, shielding the power supply because I can't understand how this sound could be improved. What would shielding the power supply do to improve the sound? Please describe, thank you.

pangea
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishstink
    I was skeptical until I found a 10001 and tried it. My friend and I were bowled over by the sonics. The difference is very noticeable. Have not done any mods like, shielding the power supply because I can't understand how this sound could be improved. What would shielding the power supply do to improve the sound? Please describe, thank you.
    Hi and very welcome to this great forum.

Part of the answer you want, can be found earlier in the thread.
    I'm also not so sure the difference is that obvious, however the laser unit on the 1001 is located very near the power supply, which might cause some heat problems, as well as create some additional hum and noise, which the shielding will help to reduce.

One thing is for sure tho, it won't make it worse.

A word of caution also. Make sure any shielding doesn't come i contact with the fuse holder!!!

BR
    Roland

iamjack
    Just thought I'd post to people who are hesitant about the interface, Kmart currently has the LCD screen for the original PS1 on clearance for about 13 dollars; so I'd imagine that other retailers are clearing out their products at a similar price point. I imagine that ebay even has something comperable pricewise.

pangea
    Quote Originally Posted by iamjack
    Just thought I'd post to people who are hesitant about the interface, Kmart currently has the LCD screen for the original PS1 on clearance for about 13 dollars; so I'd imagine that other retailers are clearing out their products at a similar price point. I imagine that ebay even has something comperable pricewise.
    Hi iamjack!

Very welcome to the forum and many thanks for the info, which I'm sure our US members will appreciate.
    It's like you said, a few have been hesitant about the interface, but don't need to be any longer.

Hope you'll find the other sections of this forum interesting as well.

BR
    Roland

The screen would be nice to build into another box. If you have read all of this thread you would know I have tried a few of the PS1 models.

My favourite was the 1002 because it had RCA sockets and I loved the sound. Of course dropouts were common as it seems they often are on this model. I was going to try and fix this but it had abnother problem which was sometimes it wouldn't play a CD unless you turned it on and let it start up with the lid open, then there was a disc my girfriend wanted to play and it refused to play it at all. So my gf stopped using my rig and went back to the dreaded computer.

I hooked up an old CD player without remote so she could use my main rig and then went and bought a second hand Pioneer DV-355 DVD player, it sounds quite good 192kHz/24-bit audio D/A converte, and has remote control and all that plus it can play the dreaded mp3s that my GF has so many of, at least she uses my good set up again.

So I was reading the new posts to this thread and thought I should put the PS1 5502 back into commission just for my own use and leave the Pioneer hooked up for my gf. I can say without doubt the PS1 is much better, has a wider bandwidth sound, low jitter, extreme detail but so smooth. I love the playstation as a player. I use a PS2 remote control with it and I don't care if it doesn't have a visual for the track number time remain etc. I have the CD cover for the song list, just like vinyl

If you haven't tried a PS1 yet, and you don't own a high end CDP, you owe it to yourself to try one. My advice now would be go for a 5002/5502, the 1002 is great but you may be put off by dropouts, I certainly got sick of that. Some people of course may not like the PS1 sound, but I prefer the vinyl sound to CD so that could be why I find the sound so pleasing. I have found most of the cheaper (sub $500) CDPs I have listened to all sounding much the same, the PS1 is the only player that has sounded significantly different to me.

Fishstink

Drop Outs

I'm getting drop outs on my 1001. Mostly this occurs on cd-r's which I burn myself. Once in awhile it will happen on commercial cd's. Is there a way to prevent this from happening? Do drop outs happen on the 5501? I love the sound of the 1001 but the drop outs are annoying. Any advice will be appreciated, thanks.......

pangea

Adjusting Bias and Gain

Quote Originally Posted by Fishstink
    I'm getting drop outs on my 1001. Mostly this occurs on cd-r's which I burn myself. Once in awhile it will happen on commercial cd's. Is there a way to prevent this from happening? Do drop outs happen on the 5501? I love the sound of the 1001 but the drop outs are annoying. Any advice will be appreciated, thanks.......
    Sometimes it can be fixed by adjusting the Bias & Gain, which is previously discussed in this thread.

If you're a techie you could do it your self, if not, take it to Sony or another Playstation repair shop and they'll adjust it for a few bucks.

BR
    Roland

Nightbrace
    Roland, are you crazy?? A Playstation cannot possibly sound good. By specs alone the Dreamcast I have should be much better, mine even has a shielded power supply from the factory. And I think it sounds terrible.

Could it be that what you are hearing is not a better sound, but a more ANALOG-like sound. More subdued and subtle?

I have a Diana Krall CD, what are you talking about?? A high S?? Whats that?? Never heard of that note, is it above a G?? On which Song??

Am I confusing jitter with the Wow and Flutter specs?? If so, most are below the measureable limit. And if you are referring to the "hiss" that occurs in the D/A conversion stage, this will occur at 22.05 KHz, above the human hearing cabability.

The fact of the matter is that after reading this entire thread, and dotting the i's and crossing thr t's is that the the PS1 is softer and will make poor material sound decent, and great material sound softer, or in laymens terms, even out the playing field.

The fact that the PS1 is softer in volume should tell you right then and there that is not better, as it needs more amplification to produce the same Db levels, again, similiar to analog.

The only way you are going to convince me, is if you send me a player with any upgrades you want to do it to, for me to compare to my NAD reference player. I have listened to hundreds of CD players, and will do an honest-to-goodness, A/B double blind test with the same reference equipment and material at the same Db level. I will listen to my 10 reference CD's completely through and give you an honest evaluation as I have done for every player that I have heard.

If the PS1 meets my evalution criteria, I will gladly buy it from you for the cost of shipping, the cost of the PS1., and the cost of the mods plus the cost of your labor. If it is truly as good as you say it would be a bargain for me.

If you were in my shoes you would be skeptical too. I will post my results here for all to see, I say what do you got to lose, except the cost to ship it here?

does roland sell these?
    i thought he said go out and buy a 30$ playstation!

i had the original one here in aus and ran a party from it when i lived on the edge a large lake at a place called mallabulla (more of a cove)
    and used my shed as an over sized box for the backward faceing dali`s you could hear the reflection from the other side of the lake if you walked away from the main sound stage
    so any volume diffrence is gonna be neglible

p.s the original had a demo disk with mad shapes and faces that floated to the music what an awsome party that was!!
    http://www.medpot.net/forums/

daily volcano demo`s
    find out the truth
    tell`em morbo sent you

mention lansing heritage for 10% off

pangea

I doubt you have read the thread thoroughly

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbrace
    Roland, are you crazy?? A Playstation cannot possibly sound good. By specs alone the Dreamcast I have should be much better, mine even has a shielded power supply from the factory. And I think it sounds terrible.

Could it be that what you are hearing is not a better sound, but a more ANALOG-like sound. More subdued and subtle?

I have a Diana Krall CD, what are you talking about?? A high S?? Whats that?? Never heard of that note, is it above a G?? On which Song??

Am I confusing jitter with the Wow and Flutter specs?? If so, most are below the measureable limit. And if you are referring to the "hiss" that occurs in the D/A conversion stage, this will occur at 22.05 KHz, above the human hearing cabability.

The fact of the matter is that after reading this entire thread, and dotting the i's and crossing thr t's is that the the PS1 is softer and will make poor material sound decent, and great material sound softer, or in laymens terms, even out the playing field.

The fact that the PS1 is softer in volume should tell you right then and there that is not better, as it needs more amplification to produce the same Db levels, again, similiar to analog.

The only way you are going to convince me, is if you send me a player with any upgrades you want to do it to, for me to compare to my NAD reference player. I have listened to hundreds of CD players, and will do an honest-to-goodness, A/B double blind test with the same reference equipment and material at the same Db level. I will listen to my 10 reference CD's completely through and give you an honest evaluation as I have done for every player that I have heard.

If the PS1 meets my evalution criteria, I will gladly buy it from you for the cost of shipping, the cost of the PS1., and the cost of the mods plus the cost of your labor. If it is truly as good as you say it would be a bargain for me.

If you were in my shoes you would be skeptical too. I will post my results here for all to see, I say what do you got to lose, except the cost to ship it here?
    I don't think I have ever said anything about a "high S", but sharp S's in her voice.

No, jitter has nothing to do with wow and flutter, if you have read the thread as you say, you would have read the post where jitter is compared to the sensation in a office building, when the ventilation is turned off, you don't hear it, until it is gone.

I must say your "dotting" efforts have lead you to the wrong conclusions IMHO.

Do you really think I'm not aware of the difference in gain (dB)?

The thing is you would have to find your own PS1, because you wouldn't be able to use European models. You see we have AC 230V/50Hz here.

But I somehow doubt you will and why should you.
    They cannot possibly be any good, as you said, so why bother.

BR
    Roland

Nightbrace
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-Playstation...QQcmdZViewItem

how well will this unit work??? I agree, it is worth a shot, and my sister has tons of playstation games, can I burn them and play them on this system??

Its my JOB to be sceptical. I will be sure to do an honest to-goodness review of this player in its original form at the same Db levels.

Nightbrace
    Will doing an A/B with these players reveal which player has the Jitter??

Which Diana Krall song has the sharp S?? I am still not understanding you.

And is there a way to use a wireless remote with the PS?

Thread Information