Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 136a,2231a,2235h

slxrti
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie
    The biggest differences between the 2235 and 2231/136a was the introduction of a progressive suspension and high power voice coil. The progressive suspension was developed to deal with the issue of dynamic offset. At higher output levels, coil motion is no longer centered at the vertical midpoint of the coil gap but can be centered at some point outside of the gap. This greatly increases distortion. The progressive suspension acts to counteract this phenomenon and keep the coil centered. Power handling was increased with these suspension changes and the change to a kapton coil former. The result was that the later 2235 had twice the power handling of its predecessor.

The changes seem minor, so if either speaker was played at a reasonable
    sound level I would expect similar characteristic.

On the paper they may have similar response, but in my case there was no comparison.

slxrti

slxrti

passive's

Quote Originally Posted by Flodstroem
    Hello Steve
    I love the bass response with a Passive Radiator (I know, I know, it's just ME!) and would like to hear from anyone that has had or has, some Olympus SR8's or S7's. I realize that these speakers use a different LF driver but I would like to know how they perform in the LF region, hopefully, KILLER.

Yeah man, I have had a pair of these S8R systems (with the LE15B version, not the usual LE15A) in a type Olympus cabinets. -Amazing deep and clean bass response.
    A friend of mine statet that the sound from these speakers was "better than of the real world"

The most foolished thing I have ever made was to sell this speakers. Maybe I will never get the bass back again?

BTW, JBL had a sort of tuning chart. This chart was handy when tuning the PR´s to right weight. (I have copies)

Regards

You’re not the only one, passive system when design properly can sound
    wonderful. I was told to use a passive with twice the maximum excursion
    of the woofer, For the 2235, that's about two inches

The funny thing, on paper the steep cut off of a passive system should have a few negative effects. But for my ears in a reverberated environment it was deep and clean.

Slxrti

Thread Information