Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
That was pretty early on in getting the whole thing up and running. I had bought 2 drivers with aftermarket kits (right channel) and one driver with a JBL 2245 (left) along with two JBL recones. Some months before I'd blown one of the aftermarket kits when an old amp passed DC. Our friend here, Clark needed a 2245 to replace one of the woofers in his 4345s that had been damaged in a freak accident. JBL kits were gone by then so I sent him the woofer on the left which matched his and installed the spare JBL recones you have now in what had been the aftermarket pair. That was about 2017/18 best I can recall.

Lesson learned. I wouldn't use amplifiers without protection on the outputs (or output transformers) or a speaker protection circuit with these unobtainium drivers any longer.
My man! I'm only teasin' 'ya. Glad to know I might get another ten years out of the 2245's though. We recently refoamed the 2215's, they're going strong once again. I have my eye out for NOS recone kits though. Simply Speakers makes a kit too. No Aquaplas though, but I discovered these 2215's don't have it either. Can't imagine they'd sound worse with the S.S. kits...

Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
That right there. Words of wisdom.
I can imagine. But my budget just won't allow that. Need someone who knows what they're doing to come into my living room and make suggestions that also coincide with the decor. If I could sacrifice a room purely for audio, I would. But not this house, maybe when I retire. Although I'm quite happy with how my room sounds. Listening to some tracks, like ZZ Top's "Asleep in the Desert" at moderate volume (90 dB?) reveals some stuff vibrates. But I don't notice when listening at levels you guys consider ear-bleed or with most other material. I have to assume it is happening and most likely competing with other frequencies. But what impact that makes on the overall sound? No idea, that's where someone who knows what they're doing could come into play.