Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Capacitors...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Background haze and sea shell ghosting? Thank God I've never had those problems.... I don't care if the silver plated, platinum foil, Dalai Lama blessed caps do remove it. I'd be freaked out if there were sea ghosts coming out of my speakers at 3:00 AM.

Widget
    Oh look how would you know....how would you know...Lolololol.!

Here is the offending culprit, the much loved and hated JBL exponential horn and slant plate lense.

Actually John Fairhurst was the first member to sight the sea shell effect using this horn lense combination...he ended up carving a unique 2344 bi radial from laminated wood.

But the better capacitors make a difference and I recall this with the previously used Hovlands so I figure this is more than coincidence

In view of this I would have to say that all things being equal it could be argued that this horn lense combination is in some ways a more accurate device than other devices where such effects are less obvious.

Bring on the skeptics .......I suppose though if you have your head suck under water what does it matter...now who's quote is that?

I think this is where opinion becomes fact.

Ian

JBL blue C/ Bo!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Well another late night of listening down here.

I now have the entire crossover on a test bed.

Although I have not yet had an opoortunity to do any measurement the virtues of the Auricap are becoming more obvious..they are excellent and the equal of the best I've heard.

Apparently Audience have making capacitors since 1983.

Here is an extract of a report to Audience from someone I know...this guy has a $100k system and the ears you go with it, he's also a professional musician.

''Although I have not tried every coupling cap there is, I am confident in saying the Auricap is the best I have tried by a long, long way, and I will be trying more Auricaps in my speaker and amplifier projects in due course. The fact that they are so reasonably priced (in the world of ridiculously priced esoteric caps) makes the choice all the more easier. Richard said to me, “There is no single reason why the Auricaps sound so good. We have been making premium audio capacitors since 1983. The Auricap is the result of many refinements over the years and attention to detail.” All I can say is “Here, here”. Try them, you will not regret it. "
    Cheers, Kendrick Pavey ( [email protected] )

Talking changing caps after 30 years

Hello

Well i am a real novice because I keep my xover caps for 30 years on my 43xx clone and that Xover was not original .

When I wanted to upgrade it , I understood it would be much more difficult than cooking " rabbit with mustard " a french dish !!!

So I just change the caps .

A firiends of mine who knows a lot about hifi told me I would better change the caps for Hf and Uhf . i did it usiing also bypass caps . The result was very good with dayton caps and audiocap as by pass , better stereo and dynamic much better wiht many instruments really good .

I let 2 56uf caps for bass and low medium and decide to change them with Solen even if my firends told me there will not be so much change .

What happen is I DISCOVER BACK MY 43XX ... THE BRASS WHERE REALLY BRASS , everything was much better , firmer only in changing those 2 - 56uf caps .

MORE THAN THIS , My left LE15A was going like to be reconed I believe , same sound as a sepaker who needs that ....
    When I change my caps for bass and low medium everything WAS OK , no more problem .

oK Experienced Jbl fans might laugh but I never saw on this forum such advise or problem for changing old caps !!!.

I know 30 years is a lot but if some newcomers can take this experience they can think about it ....

gerard

Quote Originally Posted by gerard
    When I change my caps for bass and low medium everything WAS OK , no more problem .

gerard
    HI and thanks for trade experience,

---- what exact type of caps you put ???

---- Do you have same position in L-Pad ???:

---- you have more bass and med power sound ???

Thanks...

Jean...

N"B" Actually I forum with 3 doctors engeneers electrical for understand and fixe the mystic of bypass and size of lead & wire and the dilacate question of nature of caps modiying the signature sound....

Crazy or not Crazy this is a fan question...

B&kMan

I change the caps for solen 56 uf.

There is no Lpad on Bass only on Low medium and I did not change the Lpad position !.

the bass where just firmly a lot and the 800 hz ( I believe ) on Low medium is much better , very important on brass as I said .

I believe my old caps where dead !

Gerard

B&kMan
    the bass where just firmly a lot and the 800 hz ( I believe ) on Low medium is much better , very important on brass as I said .

I believe my old caps where dead !

Gerard
    Hi again Gerard,

Thanks for post comment...

Complementary question...

--- The low frequency is more snap ???
    --- The infrasound is more punch ???

---- the sound is look little thin or just more power on low frequency...

--- Because many person have claim of solen because is sound metal... so of course if you listen metal instrument it is particulary true but if you listem other style , contreBasse, cello, or bass drum, the sound it is " metal" ???

--- Cristian of Solen is explain to me the polyster (mylar) caps is relativemly stable in time but it is absolutely shure the caps of electrolytic is completely scrap after 10-15 years... so imagine after 30 years... You right , the caps is not dead but it is completely underspec...

Jean.

Talking

ok B&K

Don't get the word snap ( say it in french ? )
    No real more infra sound , just more low medium

Not a question of power but question of reproduction of sound the tenor sax is mor real , trumpet is like a trumpet .

No metal , voice is ok.

of course I did not compare with other caps and will certainly not .

No time for it ...

But ... Who knows that after 15 years you should change the caps ... ???

Gerard

ok B&K

But ... Who knows that after 15 years you should change the caps ... ???

Gerard
    THANKS AGAIN

Yeas my english is poor (sorry)

You know, all diaghram is out of spec after 15 years, oxidation un centered, fatigue material created too distortion...

I according to Giskards and many other senior member, the professionnal change regulary parts for maintains spec... Of course, all play but....

I'M just few time to personnal introduction in electronics questions and I realize my error to maintain the original crossover for question of integrity... the network , after analysing, have many big problem conception and time degradation... So This entire forum is help to open my eye in other parameters ... And I recognize this... many head is better than one

Ex: Dc charge, zener circuit impedance stabilization, error, in lineary elecetric versus real poduce sound pressure expose the 3145 is real better (especially after introduce Dc chage by Giskards) than 3143...

30 years evolution and innovation is not only a fashion derivation...

So, YES If I restart, I chage caps regulary... in all passsif and active electronics device...

Tom Loizeaux

Ian

[QUOTE=Ian Mackenzie]
    ...Although I have not yet had an opoortunity to do any measurement the virtues of the Auricap are becoming more obvious..they are excellent and the equal of the best I've heard.

Ian, your intrest in Auricap has me interested as well. When I looked up Auricaps in the Antique Electronic catalogue, I see that they only carry them up to 1.5uf @ 450 vdc.
    If I were to replace the main caps in my 4343s, starting with the 2420 circuit, I'd need values like 13.5uf, 4uf, as well as the 1. and 1.5ufs. Does Auricap make these larger values? What are the prices on these larger ones?

Tom

Tom,

Here is a very good selection. At the bottom of the page you can click on the brand of caps you are interested in. For crazy expensive, take a look at the silver foil Audio Notes... 1uF for $481.75!!!

http://www.partsconnexion.com/catalo...itorsFilm.html

Widget

[QUOTE=Tom Loizeaux]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    ...Although I have not yet had an opoortunity to do any measurement the virtues of the Auricap are becoming more obvious..they are excellent and the equal of the best I've heard.

Ian, your intrest in Auricap has me interested as well. When I looked up Auricaps in the Antique Electronic catalogue, I see that they only carry them up to 1.5uf @ 450 vdc.
    If I were to replace the main caps in my 4343s, starting with the 2420 circuit, I'd need values like 13.5uf, 4uf, as well as the 1. and 1.5ufs. Does Auricap make these larger values? What are the prices on these larger ones?

Tom
    Tom,

They make 200 and 400 volt in a wide range of values. 200 volt should be more than adequate however. (A 200 watt amp has a peak voltage output of 80 volts)

Ian

400 volt are really for valve amp applications

Obsolete
    Michael Percy thinks the Dynamicaps are the bomb too.
    http://www.percyaudio.com/
    I've never tried them.
    I notice Parts Connexion has a tab for them.

Well this has been too quiet for too long.

Over the long JBL weekend (Monday is a JBL Holiday) I will post the most recent experiements in what I will refer to as the Millennuim capacitor upgrade.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post

Over the long JBL weekend (Monday is a JBL Holiday) I will post the most recent experiements in what I will refer to as the Millennuim capacitor upgrade.

Ian

Hi Ian,

I'm curious if you have ever experimented with Multicaps. EveAnna at Manley suggested I try some. David bought a huge supply of them years ago and they used them ever since in ALL of their amps and preamps. I recently gave them a try in one of my preamps and I favored them over both Dynamicaps and Auricaps (at least in that application). I have yet to try them in a passive crossver, though.

Nate.
    Nathan Mahler.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    <groan>

Maybe in fifty more years it will have been quiet for too long but it's only been two years.

Thread Information