Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: E140 = 2225???

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    BTW Bo...I justed quoted your post cause it was convenient
    No harm, no foul.

My point is/was:
    Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    UNFORTUNATELY....there are Authorized Servicers that haven't bothered to read the manual and find out these details for themselves and figure anything with a 4" voice coil can be shared throughout the JBL family of drivers.
    Bless you, gentle reader...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

er, uh...

Hey Crash - uh, what YOU wearing...?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Crash
    Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    er, uh...

Hey Crash - uh, what YOU wearing...?
    Boring, yet practical.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Crash
    Don't let Lancer's Knight attire fool you, it's rented. Here's what he really wears
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thank you Lancer and Crash!

You made my morning complete just reading this thread!

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Crash
    Don't let Lancer's Knight attire fool you, it's rented. Here's what he really wears
    Dude, you gotta switch to Bud Light! Its less filling!

scottyj

After reading this thread several times over....

I have come to the conclusion that there is a "purist" approach to a solution, and then there are others willing to compromise a driver design in the pursuit of a driver they feel they might not be able to obtain otherwise.

I too have wrestled with the notion of whether to "Franken-driver" or not.

The price of currently obtainable JBL drivers is not pocket change to most of us and we look at alternatives to solve our dilemma on how to get a driver we can't afford, or have problems procuring.

I have Mike Bakers E130 core reconed as 2225, for me it is not a problem as I know the Franken-woofer will have limited output below 100hz, but it will also have a lower Qts which is better for use as a horn driver. Plus I have a 2242 sub to cover the bottom end.

I think with the interest in the JBL 2235H driver that maybe JBL or a consignment factory could maybe put a run of a few thousand units to be made available to us. I wish I had known about them when they were available direct from JBL!

Ron

Wrong Thread

- Oops ! This is the extremely mislabelled "E140 i= 2225" thread that I had previously avoided getting involved with.
    - So ; ( after realizing that this entire thread is about "how to create a properly balanced 2235H " ) I've deleted my inappropriate & misplaced info on creating hybrids .
    - FWIW ( at this late date ) ; I'd even avoid using alnico cores , even if they are "technically reconable" with the 2235 kit.

Horn driver solution already in the works!

Earl,

I am having the E-140's reconed to E-130's. The voice coil/gap on the E-130 is .28" according to my feeble memory. That means that the coil stays in the gap most of the time for most efficiency.

Not to mention 105db/watt added to what the gain of the horn might be(up to 6db depending on horn/bandwidth required).

I myself do not recone at all, I am happier to send it out to be done and not worry about it.

The midbass horn is Bruce Edgar's 100hz model. I would have had it sooner, but Bruce had a accident and lost a few digits in a saw accident due to "kickback"!

AA forum (high efficiency speakers) has the post by Bruce describing the accident.

By the way, I am looking for response from 100hz to 800hz using the E-130 in the midbass horn. Should not be a problem and will mesh well with my midrange drivers which are rated at 115db efficiency with only minor attenuation.

Ron

I'm more interested in the technical aspects!

I know there will always be some friction here and there regarding issues that arise concerning the different topics discussed here.

I am happy in getting the educational merit and bypassing the flame wars.

Ron

Re:Designing Hyrid Drivers

JBL has gone to the trouble to produce a wide range of drivers for many applications... why mess around with their success?

Years ago I had a pair of 2220s and wanted more bass... I had K140 cones dropped in and used a paper dust cap. I was 18 and couldn't afford to buy a new pair of 2205As... my franken woofers were OK, but they sure as hell weren't the 2205As I wanted either. Now days with eBay... wait a week and virtually any woofer you could want is available.

I don't get it... is it the hope that you will stumble upon the winning combination that no one else has tried before? Buy a lottery ticket, your odds of outstanding success are about the same and it only costs a buck.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    I don't get it....
    Simple really.

I have a pair of dead E140's I got for cheap, or blew myself and replaced with 2226H so it won't happen again.

I could sell them for $25 each on eBay, OR

I can spend $158 apiece and recone as E140 and sell them on eBay for about $100 each,

OR, I can spend $156 apiece and recone to 2235H and get some more usable bass performance out of them.

Yeah, they won't be REAL 2235's, but those cost more like $200 apiece used, and substantially more new, if JBL even has them....

or... sell them on eBay and probably get something closer to $50 ea. and buy blown 2225s for about the same and recone those and have the real deal...

But what I was really mystified by was the desire to seek out franken woofers which is what Earl seems to be talking about.

Widget

I paid $100 for the 2225 pair, and $50 for the E140 pair.

Recone performance results soon.

Fearlessly, I will also report LE15A and LE15B/2216 performance....

Grrrrr

If you are going to insist on using the 2235H cone in the E130 or E140 basket then add an additional 35 grams of mass. The 2235H is normally used in a 5.0 cubic foot volume. The hybrid driver will require a 4.0 cubic foot volume. Keep Fb the same, bandwidth should be very similar. The hybrid driver should end up being ~ 0.6 dB less efficient across the bandwidth.

Thread Information