After watching this new alignment of Technical Help and DIY, I want to say it's working fairly well for me.

Seems like there's less noise in the Technical Help forum and it's turning more and more into a real technical aid area. I know there are some DIY, Marketplace, and Off Topic threads that get started there, but there's better policing to get them out and into the correct thread.

Thanks to the moderators for doing that, and, as a word of encouragement, do it sooner. I think the moderators' presences on the forums is a "when available" kind of thing, and I understand that. Nonetheless, it seems like there are significant gaps of time when moderators are not around, and things sometimes get screwy.

The bigger LH gets, the harder it will be to keep up the quality. It will need more attention, and that attention will have to be present virtually all the time.

We have many members whose sense of humor can be close to the edge, including mine, and who doesn't love a good jab and poke, or a nasty little poison arrow now and then? I mean, really, who doesn't? Yet, if we all indulged in vapidity, the place would degenerate into a locker room of one liners and insults.

Some of the more veteran members already invoke the past as a better time for meaningful discourse, and my hope is that the Technical Help forum and DIY forum will rekindle some of this past accomplishment.

Here's hoping I won't get a bunch of smart-ass one liners in response, but the question is this:

What are some useful strategies, rules, or guidelines that we can look at for raising the bar here at LH Forums?

I'm not interested in censorship, big brother, or other heavy-handed approaches, but topics more like these:

Moderator training
Putting a threshold on posting counts
Setting limits on number of posts per day
Allowing ratings of posts

These are all just ideas, but I hope the list will cause you to think and not just to react.