Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: JBL's cannot take any power........

Obsolete
    Because there is no market for them.

Yes.

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike33
    Why did JBL stop making the drivers/crossovers/speakers etc that you guys are fond of?
    Can you get brand new speakers from JBL that are just as good or better?
    You would think so......technology has come along way since the 70s.

Why did the Beatles get weird? How profitable would Chevy have been if they kept making the Chevelle SS over and over and over again..? Cool car- but they hit the market well and moved on to an ever changing market. Hence- the product offerings changed.

And HELL YES you can get a modern day JBL that outperforms the ones from the 70's. Got 30 grand??

For the life of me I cannot tell if you are just trying to irritate us- or perhaps you are having difficulty trying to grasp what's going on here. If the latter is true, I apologize.

Obsolete
    I take the third sentence as evidence that he is.

patient members have tried in vain

Earlier in the thread, patient members have tried in vain to explain
    what LH is about, and how it works, but he sticks to his bad habits.
    Time to close the thread ?

Why did JBL stop making the drivers/crossovers/speakers etc that you guys are fond of?
    To elaborate on Giskard's answer... the market changes and a company makes adjustments. Many of us that love the vintage stuff realize that improvements have been made... but a great product is still a great product... look at vintage cars... they are not as nimble or safe as modern cars... but they are still a kick in the pants.

Can you get brand new speakers from JBL that are just as good or better?
    We have mentioned several already... you limited yourself out of that market by placing a low cost of entry requirement. The beauty is that by going with the older product you can get an excellent pair of speakers for $1500 or less.

You would think so......technology has come along way since the 70s.
    So has JBL, look at the Project Array Series and K2 series at JBL.com

We are starting to get circular here...

Widget

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    The beauty is that by going with the older product you can get an excellent pair of speakers for $1500 or less.
    And that's the only reason I can think of to go with the older products.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    And that's the only reason I can think of to go with the older products.
    Very well put. That's the category I'm in. Theres no way I could afford new speakers that sound as good as my vintage Altecs and Klipsch.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelyfan
    Earlier in the thread, patient members have tried in vain to explain
    what LH is about, and how it works, but he sticks to his bad habits.
    Time to close the thread ?
    I vote "yes" I'm not working on commission here. Furthermore- I think the whole thread was a long joke that tried the patience of nice people.

Quote Originally Posted by hapy._.face

And HELL YES you can get a modern day JBL that outperforms the ones from the 70's. Got 30 grand??

I do not understand your notion, again saying you need $30,000 to get good modern JBL speakers.......that is crazy.
    I am not trying to buy enough speakers for AC/DC to tour with!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    To elaborate on Giskard's answer... the market changes and a company makes adjustments. Many of us that love the vintage stuff realize that improvements have been made... but a great product is still a great product... look at vintage cars... they are not as nimble or safe as modern cars... but they are still a kick in the pants.

We have mentioned several already... you limited yourself out of that market by placing a low cost of entry requirement. The beauty is that by going with the older product you can get an excellent pair of speakers for $1500 or less.

So has JBL, look at the Project Array Series and K2 series at JBL.com

We are starting to get circular here...

Widget
    Thanks Widget and other members, guess by what some members have said it can take 2 years to find a good set on ebay etc........hope i do not have to wait that long!
    The 3 Pairs of JBL's the one member has posted a picture of look interesting........They must push some bass and take some decent power by the looks of them.
    I am in Canada by the way, so there is not much of a selection up here, any shop that sells JBL is selling the cheapo's......(future shop/best buy etc).

I do not understand your notion, again saying you need $30,000 to get good modern JBL speakers.......that is crazy.
    read the whole sentence: to outperform ones from the 70's (as an example). JBL made incredible speakers all through the 70's and early 80's. That stretch earned them a LOT of respect with studio engineers and audiophiles. Granted, they have made some garbage over the years- but '...they (JBL) never left the high-end.' Of course you don't need to spend 30K to get great JBL speakers- spend what you want. Just don't expect your $200 pair to do anything magic.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...999-prices.htm

Every dollar I have invested in JBL's are worth twice what I paid (at least). I can enjoy what I have and know (after long hard searching and auditioning) that I would be hard pressed to find its sonic equal for the same money- regardless of when it was made. My JBL's are rugged enough to be rebuilt over and over- and they increase in value every second. How well do your stock investments playback music? Perhaps we are coming off snobbish-but investing (YES INVESTING) in a pair of real JBL's is never a total loss- sell em if you don't like em. You likely make profit.

The easy way is to plunk down money you say you don't want to spend and get some good current JBL's. The other route requires more time/patience/effort in return for spending less money. The good stuff isn't run of the mill so it's worth working towards for some people. There generally isn't a quick JBL fix for cheap $.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebake
    The easy way is to plunk down money you say you don't want to spend and get some good current JBL's. The other route requires more time/patience/effort in return for spending less money. The good stuff isn't run of the mill so it's worth working towards for some people. There generally isn't a quick JBL fix for cheap $.
    lol. I hear ya Mike! But he says he has $1500.00 budget and that should get him a decent set up!! Forum members have already offered a few suggestions...

These days YOU wont get ENOUGH speakers for AC/DC to tour with for $30,000. We are talking about a pair of speakers. There are pairs, yes pairs of speakers that cost 30G,s. 75G,s and over 100G,s for a pair of speakers!

But, no, you dont have to spend 30G,s to get good JBL,s! You DO have to KNOW what JBL,s actually will perform the way you want, and have the patience to shop them via eBay or other well known avenues for super vintage and semi current gear. As well as developing some knowledge and skills for set up and getting the best and proper results from your system. It isnt just plug and play. And the higher up the food chain you go, as in the better the speakers and gear, the more critical setting up, and proper placement become!

About JBL and power handling, well, JBL is among the best for high power handling, BUT, NOT every speaker that has or has ever had the famous 3 letters on it was top of the line! They make some of the BEST speakers in the world, as well as some that are designed to capitalize and profit off of their ever so famous name and legacy! This shouldnt be anything new, look at cars! Is every Mercedes in their line of the same quality? Is a $35,000 Mercedes as good as an $86,000 Mercedes?

There is a wealth of information here on this forum, and should you actually decide to get a pair of JBL,s really worth having, people here can really help you towards getting absolutely incredible sound from them! But L80,s arent L300,s! Nor were they designed to be, they fit a certain pricepoint, and for what they were they were OK, maybe better than other manufacturers products at the same pricepoint of the same period, but not top of the line. As good as audio was in the 70,s and 80,s, there was alot of junk and hype too, just like it is today! Alot of good items, and some that aint worth the effort to go and listen to them.

Im a pro user, I use alot of JBL and Altec, and I dont have speaker failure problems, very rare for me. I know the Bryston 4B very well, and it produces quite alot of power, especially for home use. This amp driving an older pair of speakers, whose surrounds and VC adhesives were probably dried out, and brittle, could very easily cause the exact damage you experienced. It has huge power supplies, and when you push it, it delivers, especially in the lower frequencies! Unfortunately, foam surrounds needing replacement after years of being in the enviroment is a fact of life. Cloth surrounds do last longer, but, woofers that use cloth surrounds do not sound like woofers that use foam surrounds. Theres a reason a speaker designer/engineer of a company chooses to have a driver made the way they do! But, you buy a vintage set of speakers with foam surrounds, it,s almost always a given your gonna have to re-foam the woofers.

FWIW, 2 years ago, I was cleaning my JBL 2402 bullet tweeters, I had dissasembled them to clean the aluminum horn and bullet throughly, and inspect my diaphragms, and I found, out of 16 units, 1 where the VC adhesive had let go, and half the diaphragm wasnt attached to the VC former, the date of manufacture on this particular diaphragm? Mar 2,`84!!!!!!!!!!!! When did I say I checked it? 2004! And, it still worked, but I got a new diaphragm and replaced it! 20 years, commercial, High SPL, dance music sound system! I say, NOT BAD! I assure you, you do not play your system as hard, nor as many hours as my system runs!

These days, good things cost money, lots of it! But, if you have a good eye, good knowledge, and patience, you can come out with a great deal off Ebay, and there are people here that will help you in your quest for the best, at reasonable pricing, but ya gotta be nice to us!

scottyj

Thread Information