Thread: XPL200A vs 4315A first impressions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    RIP 2009

XPL200A vs 4315A first impressions

OK - I finally picked up that virtaully mint pair of XPL200A's with DX-1 that PARA had and got them set up, though not with the DX-1 yet, (I still need to drag a couple amps over and rewire stuff). But I did put them next to my 4315A's for some A-B comparisons. For amp/pre-amp I only used a top of the line JVC, (I know - groan...), but at least it runs the 4-ohm 4315A's without blowing fuzes, rated 130 watts/channel.

Immediately, there's a big difference in efficiency, maybe because the 4315A's are rated 4 ohms and the XPL200A's are rated 8 ohms - switching back and forth, the 4315A's are much louder, at least for a given volume control setting.

Next, (and this surprised me), even set flat, (but adjusting for ~ equal volume), the XPL's had much less presence/midrange than I was expecting. And I expected to hear a significant difference in clarity, etc., but the 4315A's really surprised me - at least to my ears, they seemed quite as clear as the XPL's. I've always been happy with the 4315's, but I still expected more difference.

I guess the next thing I need to do is to run some RTA curves to see which speaker tonality is actually flatter between the two. Much comparison is needed in the future, including setting up the DX-1 and running everything off dedicated power amps. I'll keep revisiting this thread to post new observations, but it will be over a matter of weeks...

Anyway, here's a pic of them guickly set up. I'm tracking down some kind of rack so I don't have such a mess, but again, it might take a little while.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Obsolete
    Nice!

Hey John,

Glad you got them set up. Sounds like the vitage stuff is going to give the newbie a run for it's money! I will be very interested in finding out what you come up with. If this were a boxing match, it sounds like round 1 goes to the 4315's!

HAVE FUN!

Mark

John, you could probably use a six-pack and another pair of ears.

Well I'll be!! Another nut case You remind me of my XPL-200/4344 shoot outs. Don't be so quick to judge the XPL's they will give you some surprises. First thing you have to do is level match them or your comparisons will all be biased for the louder pair. Once you do that and can cleanly switch you will notice differences for sure. Have fun and nice set-up!!!

Rob

Nightbrace
    Man you need some better gear, those XPL's are stellar performers. You need to get the volumes to match, at least get a Radio Shack SPL meter to measure the sound pressures. You might be surprised.

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave
    John, you could probably use a six-pack and another pair of ears.
    You're welcome to stop by anytime, Dave. Just bring some good tunes, (and Red Tail Ale! ).

John

"I'm not sure how to measue the output voltage correctly, (I do have meters - do I just check AC voltage across the leads?), or do you know what dB SPL level that would equate to?"

You may not want the same voltages on the terminals because that doesn't account for the sensitivity differences. That and a Whoops can ruin your whole day. You really don't need to know what the exact SPL is to do the comparisons. You can use relative measurements just as well. When you set them up just get a baseline measurement. Choose a system doesn't matter which and use it to get a snapshoot of your in room response from say 300Hz and Up. Just set the speakers to give the same relative level through this range when you make the comparisons. You can use your RTA for this. Just measure from the exact same place in your room when you do it. I have an SPL meter and the RTA and SPL meter track each other very well. Just make sure that the RTA is not on auto range. With mine it can auto range to keep the measurement centered in the RTA window. You don't want that.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606
    You really don't need to know what the exact SPL is to do the comparisons. You can use relative measurements just as well. When you set them up just get a baseline measurement.
    Agreed.

But I would "baseline" each "system" (read: set-up) using Pink Noise and SPL. Get things relatively normalized, and then do your tests. Without a meaningful normalization, there are far too many variables.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thread Information