Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: XPL200A vs 4315A first impressions

Greg, always great to see your input. Nothing better than getting it from the source.

One question- with the XPL200... someone here at our shop, actually queried me not long ago, about the possibility of swapping in a paper-cone 115H in place of the midbass in the XPL200... in the hope of "pepping up" the midbass, for more impact. Do you think there would be too much of a danger of upsetting the crossover/driver tuning, or could this be a worthwhile experiment, at least in theory?

Thanks!!!

Regards,
    Gordon.

Interesting read. Thank you.
    Out.

GT, Thanks for coming here to talk about my favorite speaker. My XPLs are crossed over with a 300Hz 18db active crossover. I have just upgraded my system to use a 5.1 Controller instead of a stereo pre-amp. For surround I have a set of L-20T3 and an Infinity RS 2000.2 as center, pressed into service bacause it was available and fit into the space. Anyway the point of this is that the sound is so beautiful now, it just knocks me out. I put on the 5.1 disc of Brothers in Arms last night and this is the best sound that I have ever heard. Audio Nirvana. Thanks.

Way cool.

RIP 2009
    Thanks, Greg, for your very enlightening post!

Quote Originally Posted by gtimbers
    It could be hard to choose between them as they are both quite nice but just different.

I'm pleased to see that both are still around and bringing pleasure to people.
    Dang! Just as I'm trying to rationalize selling one or the other...

Now you've got me trying to figure out how to keep both...

Thanks again - John

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave
    John, you could probably use a six-pack and another pair of ears.
    You're welcome to stop by anytime, Dave. Just bring some good tunes, (and Red Tail Ale! ).

John

Thanks!!

Thanks for checking in on us Greg!!

It is wonderful that you come to the forum once in a while.
    Thanks Again

Well John It looks like you have your work cut out for you. Please let us know what you end up with.
    Always fun learning more.......

Steve Gonzales

Nice!

AWESOME G.T.!

Thank you!

Greg,
    Thanks for your input.

Brian G.
    Paying debt to Karma...

Whoa...

Man am I glad I logged in tonight !

I don't even know where to begin. Maybe THANK YOU for giving us these phenomenal living room icons to enjoy our music with ! I hope you'll drop by more often and share some more insights and comparisons with us.

I enjoy your 250Ti's almost daily and I can't say enough great things about the special x-overs that Giskard cooked up (with some of your input I understand).

Anyways, welcome to this forum and please, please come back to say more. You won't find a more interested (and interesting) audience anywhere....

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by gtimbers

I'm pleased to see that both are still around and bringing pleasure to people.
    Hello Mr. Timbers, yes, many things vintage JBL as well as current are bringing pleasure to peoples ears!

Its a testament to JBL and the people like yourself that designed products that just wont go away!

Thank you for sharing with us.
    scottyj

Greg,

Great to see you on the board and your comments are ever so valuable, priceless in fact.

I know your time is precious but one thing that would be great to see and something all of us here could benefit from are your input/recommendations for modifications/upgrades that could be made to the XPL-200's/DX-1 and 4315's that would extend their capabilities beyond their factory release.

All of us members here are always talking about what changes/additions/removal to drivers and crossovers that can be made but can either speculate, make a calculated decision or go by trial and error to guage our success or failure.

I am sure ideas have popped up since the inception of the 200's and 4315's that you may be able to share with us now that you may not have been able to implement in past speaker designs. You valuable insight is always more than welcome.

Thanks for sharing with us your dreams that have brought pleasure to so many of us listeners.

We hope to see you on here again very soon.

Cheers
    Pasadena

A quick reply to Gordon.

The 115H paper cone has a nasty peak above 1500 hz. The 115H-1 is really smooth. You could try the swap, I believe the sensitivity and impedance are about the same. I am betting on the -1 still sounding better.

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    Do you think that the consumer side will ever re-introduce the "L-Series", or "XPL"? or something as appealing affordability wise short of the Project Array.
    It seems to me, especially taking inflation into account, that the Performance series almost exactly describes what you're thinking. If the L or XPL series were currently available, I bet they'd fall pretty much into the same price range as the Performance series.

John

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by johnaec
    It seems to me, especially taking inflation into account, that the Performance series almost exactly describes what you're thinking.
    Agreed.

Thread Information