Thread: Semi-trapezoidal 2-way

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Widget
    Yes and no. The improvements in imaging and the lowering of midrange coloration due to a narrower baffle far out weight the minimal change in bass response. IMO.
    - John , I quickly fired that first post off before going shopping .
    - I really should have started with a statement that I very much like your design ! In fact, I follow all your building endeavours with great interest because your "fit & finish" is spot on.

- Now, I realize that by first trotting out the negatives , I've likely given the wrong impression . Sorry for that .

- I agree that the positives of low diffraction baffle-design far outweighs any apparent loss of bass in the balance of midrange to bass voicing .

- As first mentioned, a "voicing" rebalance can be addressed/restored through altering the LC components within the crossover ( the lowpass portion ) . I do believe that this rebalancing exercise is more empirically based than pure science .

- The need for varying degrees of "bafflestep" compensation ( in a crossover ) is something that I don't think has been chewed over much in this forum ( which is ironic , since nearly everything else under the sun has been talked about at least twice )

BB6P suggests your volume (red) is a little small for optimum "Extended Bass" tuning. Heavy fill to gain virtual volume doesn't help much. Bumping it up to 3 cuft. gets you to the BB6P recommendation (black) for LE14H. Note the additional ~2.5 dB at 30 Hz.

Consider flaring out the sides toward the bottom per my Z2 design to gain that volume. This also makes them non-parallel all the way down, and gives the boxes more of a "base."

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...7&postcount=52

For Hamilton's L200t3 clones, we went even larger, 3.5 cuft., if I recall.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...070&#post82070

With the Z1 prototype, I was able to do the side bend with a saw kerf from the inside. It's actually not much of an angle; filling the kerf with structural adhesive and backing it with a full-length mitered brace might be easier than trying to piece together the sides....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information