Thread: The seeming demise of JBL OEM parts... and the subsequent devaluation of a brand?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    from Scott Fitlin:

my ears seem to prefer traditional sounding, well made components!
    "Bingo"!!, my friend. And that is why we are all here, me thinks.

My otherwise-engaged friends cannot grasp my affliction, until they come over and visit. And then...

First, was the near wretched Altec Corona's, then refitted with the LE8T's and LE20's which brought a humble "oh my god" from the wifey who hadn't lived with them since 1974 and didn't share my cabinet loyalty...

Then were the completely refurbished Lancer 44's and Lancer 77's that simply "wow"d any who stopped by the shop and saw their father's speakers rockin...

Second, the L26's refitted with the LE10A's featured. "Oh my god" was the response of the poor soul who gave me the cabinets (sans the blown LF's) otherwise headed for the rubbish tip.

Third, were the veritable 4312 L/R refitted with the 128H's - thanks to Giskard - which won a "oh my god" from mixed couples...

Fourth, were the 4313B's with the resurround LE10H's (and with cabinet polarity reversed and duly noted on the rear, per martinleewin's rant...), and paired with the 4312 L/R's wrought an "oh my god" from even me...

Fifth, are the "oh my god" cabinets, the 4345's, which I will re-spec to factory, and then can only hope to look after for so long as I can hear.

... they completely get it, but have no basis to start from.

This appreciation has to be rooted in a willingness to just listen to music, without visual stimulation. A willingness that most seem to have lost along the way.

The incorporation of visual inputs masks, to a degree, the need for the definition and imaging we here seek. Processors make-up for the need for true, highest quality in audio gear. IMO, ironically, surround-sound systems benefit mediocre quality audio gear more than highest quality audio gear benefits surround-sound systems to the "average" user. I visit many homes where some lastest tech processor is wanking the sound of an otherwise unworthy audio system into something where I really cannot hear what is going on, and over-amped subwoofers (hopelessly attempting to obviate the need for real speaker cabinets...) are muddier than the mighty Mississippi. I (not so subtly...) switch the processor off, to "stereo", and "poof", man, the mystique vaporizes - "there is nothing behind the curtain, Dorothy". But, it is working.

Regretably, for us who hope to sustain the quality scott fitlin refers to, you simply can get to an acceptible audio-visual result with so much less effort than we go through. Not being a martyr, but few appreciate the need to start with audio, perfect it, and then work to incorporate it into the audio-visual experience. That is hard.

OK, soap box is now being relinquished to the next sordid soul. As Reginald Gardiner would say: "Nurse, I'm ready...
    Last edited by boputnam; 07-16-2003 at 08:15 PM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thread Information