Hi,
I'm refoaming a pair of LE14A woofers (1975 vintage, from L55s) which have good cones and the spiders seem good (no sagging) but the dust caps (or 'domes') have been pushed in on both woofers. So, I'm cutting the domes off to be able to shim these, and replace the dented domes as well.

According to the JBL parts lists, the LE14A center dome that comes with the recone kit is this:
50201 D/DOME, 4.025/DIA 3.975/ID.775/HT PAPR/B $1.74 USD

But this one:
70330 D/DOME, 4.125DIA 4.11ID.825HT PPR/BLK 1 $2.22 US

is 0.1" larger. Should I use this to replace a damaged dome, or the original sized dome? Or would a generic 4" paper dome, that I can get locally, work fine?

As an aside...I have carefully cut the original dome off one speaker, and wetted it and reshaped it back into a dome using a ball as a form. I could reuse this if I had to. The reshaped dome is actually very presentable. Would anyone here even bother with this, or am I trying to be 'too original'?

BTW, I did see the recent LE14A refoam thread. Both Lansaloy surrounds on these were hard, and one was partially cracked. The fs on both measured over 80Hz (I have a WT2 from Smith Larson). Both surrounds were carefully removed, but some white coating came off the front of the cone. The only way I could refoam these onto the back of the cone would be to repair the areas where the Lansaloy came off, and perhaps repaint the entire cone to match the color. I'm not doing this to re-sell for maximum profit, but to use myself. Should the spider lay flat with the speaker upright, or horizontal? What's worse in the eyes of JBL fanatics - front glued surrounds or repaired and repainted cones?