Thread: something a little different

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

something a little different

I've been playing around with this project for a couple of years. I've always liked the 4315's and wanted to experiment with some variations. This is the second pair in this configuration I've built. I got talked out of the first pair so I regrouped and made a second.

I had a pair of 2410/2301 horns sitting around for years with no perceived use so I decided to use them in place of the 2105 cone mid range drivers. They're too hot for this configuration and need to be toned back 3db or more. After doing that the whole configuration sounded better. The stock 3114A network is the biggest drawback to the project. The plan is to get custom designed networks built but this will take some time.

The potato mashers and mirror imaged baffles are obvious. The interior is not 4315 stock. The woofer sits in a 1.5 cubic foot sealed chamber packed full of insulation and the intended end configuration will be the 121H; to be reconed soon. In the first pair this woofer pounded out good tight base and was a noticeable improvement to the low end missing in my stock 4315's. Filling the holes now is a spare pair of 124A's. Also as fillers are a pair of 2108's. In the end they will hopefully be changed to 112H's but these baskets seem to be in the Unobtamium category.

I built the steel stands years ago to get my 4315's up off the floor. I recently drug them out of storage and put them back into service. They're 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 square tube steel with 1/4" wall and weigh near as much as the speakers.. The frames bolt on using the factory hanging mounting holes so no cabinet mods were necessary. I had them finished in Navy Blue wrinkle powder coat to match the grille cloth.

This has been a fun project so I thought I'd share it. Please keep any laughing to yourself so I don't feel bad.

Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thread Information