I totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by svollmer View Post
Wow! I didn’t know that I said I tried to play a tough guy. Just that I get off on playing good rock music with enthusiasm. And yes, there is a decibel code implemented on concert PA’s; it’s called “You.” If “you” think a band is too loud, “you” are free to walk away or use ear plugs. Yes, you can turn down a PA so it’s not loud. But, the whole point of live rock music is that it’s visceral. I like to feel the bass drum punch me in the chest. If you don’t like that, don’t go see bands that play that way.

If the audience sat there quietly and applauded politely after each song, like you suggest, EVERY rock band experiencing that would think that they must suck! So yes, you’re dead wrong as far as rock concerts go.

And you’re really making a stretch (actually an unfounded assumption) about each member trying to “outdo” each other without knowing me or ever hearing my band. I play loud, they mix in and it sounds good. Then, unfortunately for you, the whole thing gets amplified by the PA to an even louder level.

I don’t know when the last time you went to a rock concert was, if ever. But I can tell you that every band, including ours, doesn’t play nearly as loudly as bands did in the 60’s – 80’s. And I’ve been to several shows where the PA sounded very, very clear and detailed, just quite a bit louder than a typical home stereo. I don’t agree that “with PA it’s just noise! Overlapping frequencies producing random noise not music, noise!” PA’s today are very good and I’m sure there are many LH members who own and run PA’s who would agree (and be offended by your gratuitous assertion).