Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
Questions for you DIY types with real world experience with the 2216Nd... after my off the wall suggestion Rob (sebackman) to try to EQ the snot out of the 2216Nd for sub use, I pulled up this old thread.

While the 2216Nd is definitely not a true sub, it looks like it will certainly get well below 30Hz with authority and in my listening to the M2 with factory calibration, being most impressed with the LF I am curious what you guys have found the lower limits to be. What tunings and enclosure volumes are you guys using?

I've never tried it as a sub myself.
There are probably cheaper options out there to use as subs, and arguably better for high SPL or to go very low (both of which are probably of no use for music at home).

There is one thing I think the 2216nd would be very good at: accompanying another 2216nd as a "flanking sub".
I think this is a term Wayne Parham from Pi Speakers first came up with, and is pretty similar to what JBL does in the 4435: a helper woofer.
Basically an additional woofer put close to the existing one that plays together (and in a similar alignment) with the main one, going as high as possible and stopping just before it can be located as a different source.

IIRC integrating an additional 2216nd with an M2 is theoretically very straightforward: you basically put a 1st order LP at around 100Hz on it, and remove the shelving filter from the LF crossover section of the M2.
It is almost like it was meant to be done

EDIT: If this was not obvious enough, I am just trying to help you find an excuse to buy a pair