Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
Hello Ian

I think it's a step in the right direction. The last interface we all have to deal with, and in many cases live with, is what actually happens in our listening rooms. No amount of anechoic or quasi anechoic is going to predict what's going to happen there.

That will never change. Not going to address DSP based systems that can ping the room and adjust accordingly. Sticking to passive systems or actives without adjustable DSP.

Spinorama allows us to get an accurate DI curve. I think the DI curve is important WRT predictability of room interaction but it can't directly address where the room dominates.

It's a mixed bag.

Rob
I agree in that measurement approaches have advanced. To my mind it needs simplifying down from to how well a loudspeaker translates to a nirvana experience of a tune at home. It’s the inverse of what happens in the mixing and mastering of a tune. The recording engineer is only interested in how well it translates. Thats their terminology and l think it’s a good way of understanding a loudspeaker.

But in terms understanding what to measure and how to interpret it all and then applying it correctly is beyond any mortal music lover or HiFi enthusiast. For the average consumer and even a seasoned amateur loudspeaker builder it’s quite complicated with lots of variables and can end up being a snake chasing its tail for way too long.

So if the loudspeaker system translates what you like with the tunes you like to play that’s all that really matters.

Continued in my next post