Thread: Acoustic (Air) Suspension

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Stuck some poly fill inside my l100 cabinet today after installing my 104hs and I wasn't too impressed. Perhaps I'll have to start experimenting later, but in this application (where the woofer half of the midrange) i think you've got to pick either blocking the port or stuffin the box with insulation. Polyfill was just too much and all i had left was HF and upper MF, so for right now I'm gonna leave em be and enjoy my new amplifier and midranges. Which if you have an l100 i strongly advise and upgrade to 104h's

watch the stuffing near the port!

Quote Originally Posted by SETriode
    Stuck some poly fill inside my l100 cabinet today after installing my 104hs and I wasn't too impressed. Perhaps I'll have to start experimenting later, but in this application (where the woofer half of the midrange) i think you've got to pick either blocking the port or stuffin the box with insulation. Polyfill was just too much and all i had left was HF and upper MF, so for right now I'm gonna leave em be and enjoy my new amplifier and midranges. Which if you have an l100 i strongly advise and upgrade to 104h's
    If you're trying to run it as a ported system, you have to make sure the airflow through the port on the inside of the cabinet is unrestricted. Allow 3"-4" minimum clear space all 'round the inside end of the port. Same goes for getting up against any of the moving parts of the woofer, including the tinsel leads. Use cheescloth stapled back as appropriate to hold the insulation.

Also, try fiberglass inside of polyfill. It just plain works better. And use only long-strand fiberglass -the short stuff can get into places it shouldn't, like the voice-coil gap-

Filling or stuffing the box adds virtual volume -up to 30-40%, which will tame the peak and lower the cabinet tuning -which helps in either case, ported or A-S.

Thread Information