Thread: Big Blue

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW
    Construction has already begun. The turned horns are finished and I’ve started on the cabinets. Let me know if I need to put the brakes on, otherwise I’m trudging ahead and will keep you posted.
    Hmmmmm,,,, John ,

- Only because I have such great respect for your wood-working abilities , do I suggest something a lot more ambitious,( both sonically and build-wise ) .
    - The ***sonic purity of a round horn*** just begs to be used with an MTM type system .

- How about something like this kludge-up ? It's an asymmetrical, MTM-based, "fanciful-thought" project ( for the time being ) .
    - It's meant to be a biamped / triamped ( only ) system ( just for the sake of simplicity ).
    - The 2245H and 2206 ( or other qualifying 12" ) are run paralleled, with various means applied to restrict/blend their respective response curves.
    - ( ie; the 18" "working" in a ported cabinet would have a large inductor on it to roll down its midrange ( earlier than the 12" ) / while the 12" working in a "largish" sealed doghouse slowly rolls out its' LF response ).

- You'd need to sell your 2202 midrangers ( I know, I know this is all a stretch ) and obtain midwoofers instead, like the 2206H, to make this sort of MTM concept workable .
    - The midwoofer ( 2206H ? ) should be located as close to the horn as possible / with a center to center spacing ( 2245 to 2206 ) of around 34" as a reasonable goal.
    - Another ( perhaps conflicting ) design goal is to use a ( large enough ) round horn that will support a crossover point as low as 600 to 650 hz ( with minimal low-mid "correction" EQ ) .
    - Whatever 12" midbass woofer is used , it needs to have a similar efficiency to that of the 2245H. It also needs to offer pretty linear output ( from @ 80/100 hz to 650 hz ) when housed in its' sealed ( @ )1 cu' subenclosure. For Xmax reasons, a long coil winding depth ( > than or = to .75" ) offers the best compromise for this job description . ( Aquaplassed cone, a deeper gap, higher compliance surround and higher BL factors are also desirable attributes / though much tougher to obtain through eBay type purchases ) . The ME120H or 1200Fe do come to mind as my first choice twelves to explore ( when designing with specs. from a page / and when referenced through my own hands-on experience with the ME150H ) .

- I believe you'll need to design & build a small round waveguide for your 2403 driver to maximize the imaging capabilites of a 4way system . This will most likely entail copying the initial "compression-chamber" of the 2404 tweeter to achieve the correct, initial compression characteristic necessary for a bit of diffraction.

- The original image belongs to "pantaNS" and is of his 4-way system that uses a 2245H and a 2206H ( among other things ).

Okay , not yet ? maybe in a couple of years.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information