Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Perfect Speaker? Let's hear your vote!

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    I would like to mention CANTON GL-260,
    The drivers look a lot like those in a/d/s'.

Thumbs up Canton

For those who like it small and sweet, I would like to mention CANTON GL-260...
    It sounds amazingly smooth and natural. When it is playing without comparison you wouldn't miss anything. The surrounds are remarkable longtime stable.

Peter
    I will second these remarks. I hear small and large Cantons almost every week and the smaller performers are remarkable. When nothing else is playing recently, most listeners would not know what they are missing.

Still, the Canton Vento 809 DC is my favorite non-JBL speaker I have heard. (I have not heard Revels, Wilsons, etc., so I speak from experience, and some inevitable ignorance.) I doubt that the much more expensive or well known uber-speakers have much on them. Some Canton Karats are more expensive and supposedly better speakers, and I have heard them too, but I like the 809 DC a lot better. They are very accurate but totally pleasing to listen to, not analytical or dry sounding. I like them better in cherry than silver. They are heavy to lift, too. They feel like there are a few lead bricks in there. Best of all, all large Cantons are bi-ampable. The Vento Reference 1 DC is probably even beter, but I have not heard them.
    http://www.canton.de/en-home.htm
    http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/605canton/

For those of you who drive German automobiles or use German machines and designs in general, these speakers' designs, build quality and the reality, the truth, of their presentation of sound are very German. You know who you are and what that compliment means!

These Canton Karat pages should be of interest:
    http://www.audioholics.com/productre...nce2page5.html
    http://www.audioholics.com/productre...nce2page6.html

The problem is, after the 4345's I think everything else needs a sub. I expect the 4435's, 4355's, S8R's and S7R's are exceptions, but no recent listening experience there. I expect the DD66000 is better than any of them, but I can't make it to the CES so I'll probably never hear them.

Clark in Peoria
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by LowPhreak View Post
    The drivers look a lot like those in a/d/s'.
    Not quite shure but I think a/d/s was BRAUN, which produced well approved closed boxes. (I own a pair L810.)

The developers of BRAUN, CANTON, HECO, ACRON, HENNEL knew each other very well and they put the closed box principal to its optimum. (Some boxes were too good, the firms do not exist anymore - marketing)

Btw. BRAUN used 50 mm and 25 mm soft calottes with dividing frequencies of 550 Hz and 4000 Hz. It sounds really great as long you do not want live performance with The Who, Deep Purple or something like that.
    So I'm looking for something new.

Zilchmmeister,

Sounds like a Christmas diy project..yet to be completed.

Perfect loudspeaker.(for home use)

Well in JBLs my vote is for the LSR 3 ways with a sub. They are JBLs most evolved 3 way system, they are affordable, the don't take up much space and they sound great.

http://www.jblpro.com/products/recor...0/lsr6332.html

Not quite shure but I think a/d/s was BRAUN, which produced well approved closed boxes. (I own a pair L810.)
    Yep, I knew about the a/d/s-Braun association, but not about Canton > a/d/s. I had a pair of L990's (10" 3-way floorstanders) and I loved the bottom end, but it was so good that I kept burning the woofers.

...and they put the closed box principal to its optimum. (Some boxes were too good, the firms do not exist anymore - marketing)
    That sounds about right. Another reason why instead of shooting all the lawyers first, we should kill all the bean-counters first so the lawyers might learn a lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post

Well in JBLs my vote is for the LSR 3 ways with a sub. They are JBLs most evolved 3 way system, they are affordable, the don't take up much space and they sound great.
    That is exactly my view as well, Ian. Which is why eventually I'll trade off these 4412's and replace with a pair of the LSR's. They're just about the best-sounding "small" 3-way there is.

Plus, no broken grille studs to monkey with!

From over here in the UK, these are the best loudspeakers I have heard, followed by the large Westlakes. The Everest sadly would not make the top five at the moment.

I don't know what this has to do with anything but it was triggered by the german thing. As one who was driving a DS21 when BMW was calling a 2002 "the ultimate driving machine" I didn't get it. I'm going to guess they don't import Citroens into Germany or else ??? I had a brother in law (guess I still do) many years ago who had these little "braun" speakers he slobered on all the time but he loved Advents also. Not knocking BMW's or the rest of them, just never seemed so special once one has encountered something that is.

For the record, although I've heard many 'ultimate" systems over the years (none of late) that I found rather underwhelming, I'v heard mention and described here too many that I was not even aware of to think that I've heard it all or that there is not a world of different speakers to hear each or at least many with their high and low points. There is one limiting factor though. The target is the same as it always has been ( if we forget that tha real target can be either to reward the shareholders or build something that can be taken public) the target is to sound like the original. As soon as you hear "that sounds better than live" either something is wrong or the target moved. Frequently some of the things attributed to the speakers or the hole system such as depth and placemelt and such would be quite important except on many recordings these things were not recorded there in the first place but who am I to say there is no Santa Clause.

How about the Klipsch La Scala?
    I bet I can find at least 100 people to back me up.

Widget

Gary L
    By The Author in post #1
    What I mean is every speaker seems to have it's problems, but there has to be that one speaker that can do it all without modifications.
    I brought this back down here to point out what many have said in previous posts to this thread.

We all agree I Think, that "PERFECT" comes in many sizes, styles and colors. I also believe we all agree that what is deemed perfect by one is not perfect to all others.
    I think Storm wanted to hear opinions of what many of us think are great speakers and he certainly got a bunch of excellent replies here. On the flip side, those of us who live in tight quarters have no use for L 300s, Model 19s or A7s or even the WestLakes mentioned.
    There are a number of very fine speakers available that may come very close to your opinion of Perfection but I do not agree, as the author states "There has to be one that can do it all without modification".
    I seriously doubt there ever will be such a speaker that we could all agree is number 1 unless we severly limit the criteria such a speaker must meet.
    I love large speakers but many of the much smaller ones mentioned in this thread are fine examples of excellence any way you cut it.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

How about the Klipsch La Scala?
    Well, I used to like the Cornwall...

No one seems to be considering the room that this "perfect speaker" would inhabit. So if you're going to name what's the perfect speaker, I guess the assumption is that the room is optimal too.

Golden Ratio, anyone?

While the room is as important as the equipment... we almost always ignore it because it is the most difficult to contend with.

That could be the next thread; "Perfect Room? Let's hear your vote!

Widget

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    As soon as you hear "that sounds better than live" either something is wrong or the target moved.
    In my case, the target moved....

much of the stuff I listen to is not "live" music,
    but fully synthesized/digital music...

so about that perfect room.....

Never a perfect speaker

What makes it a perfect speaker? Price, white paper sheets, weight,color,horns,no horns,2 woofers,3 woofers. etc:. I can go on for ever here,What, I think is, the ear decides what is the perfect speaker and since we all hear differently there will never be a perfect speaker for everyone. . While speaker designs might appeal to everyone sound will not. So there can only be the perfect speaker individually,Never for everyone.

What makes it a perfect speaker?
    Your opinion. Well to you at least.

Rob

Thread Information