Thread: A wet 2441 !

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jbl_man_uk View Post
    ...i have one here full of water (dont ask! )
    'Sorry - now you've got us curious - what happened?

John

Ok John,here`s the story....this driver belongs to a freind of mine,it was attached to a 2350 radial horn,and left pointing horn-mouth skyward in a leaky bus for a week after new-years eve before it could be retrived(transport difficulties i gather)....in the meantime the 2350 horn had acted a large "funnel" channeling all the rain water nicely into the driver........
    Last edited by jbl_man_uk; 01-23-2007 at 09:44 AM. Reason: photo attached

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by jbl_man_uk View Post
    Ok John,here`s the story....this driver belongs to a freind of mine,it was attached to a 2350 radial horn,and left pointing horn-mouth skyward in a leaky bus for a week after new-years eve before it could be retrived(transport difficulties i gather)....in the meantime the 2350 horn had acted a large "funnel" channeling all the rain water nicely into the driver........
    I'd just stick a Radian diaphragm in it and use it. You aren't going to hear it sloshing around in a fixed installation.

Maron Horonzakz
    Chuck it & find a clean 2450 driver.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    Chuck it & find a clean 2450 driver.
    That'd be my first thought. Toss it into the heap destined for the scrap metal recycler. It's 30 pounds.

Back in the day, I used to strech a piece of thin plastic..(Food wrap) over the driver mouth between the driver and the horn,before I bolted the horn on. It's acoustically transparent, and you can fill a monitor horn full of, uh,...liquid..and do no damage. Check them every once and a while just to make sure they hadn't deteriorated...try it, works great! I'm sure I saved hundreds of dollars in monitor diaphragms....

I acknowledged from the get that I didn't know what problems it might cause and it looks as if it was a pretty poor choice but my point was in one breath "whatever you do don't put wd40 in it" (by the way wd40 isn't like silicon, it's not that hard to get rid of). And in the next breath "throw it away" I'm saying that using wd 40 gives you at least as much hope as throwing it away and it doesn't get in the way of throwing it away if that's still what you want to do. So under the circumstances that your going to throw it away as Myron says I don't think WD40 is a stupid idea at all. Under other circumstances, Edgewound, I'm certainly not going to say I know as much about the unit as you do. I don't So under other circumstances it may be a horrible choice. I don't know if anybody follows or cares I don't know why I have to chase things like this down to there last detail but I'm probably done with this one. If it had been Oh no don't put wd40 in it that's the dumbest thing I ever heard of followed by a plan to save it that would have been a totally different thing. As far as wd40 attacking the adhesives that hold the vc to the diaphragm, I never envisioned that being in the driver while this was taking place. Perhaps I missed something. I'm sure there are much more suited solvents for the job but I'm sure methylene chloride would easily get rid of the wd40 unless there is something (almost anything) in the driver for it to attack. Sometimes it works good to displace water also as it is heavier than water and you don't have to worry about getting it all out. Actually you have to try to keep the unit warm enough while the methylene chloride is evaporating that it doesn't condense water out of the air.

So if one has rust. Not been under water rust, but been in florida too long rust (it's a 2425) is it easier to wait for the right deal on another one than to try to clean it? (I guess that might be like been in the garage in SF to long)

Thread Information