Page 12 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Look at my new babies...Altec 846Bs w/EV Tweeters!

"Are you the only one that understands why I like these so much with the added EV T-35 tweeter?"

Storm----I was putzing around with T-35s on Altecs over 20 years ago, there's nothing novel about it buddy.

Now I'm not going to bumrap your preference but you should be aware than some of us aren't enthusiastic about what you're doing because we've already done it and discarded the notion.

Here'a a Flamenco that belongs to a pal up in Chicago, he likes to augment his highs with the Fostex tweeter atop it. The Fostex sounds smoother than a T-35 IMO but I think the speaker sounds best without the tweeter. But it's his speaker. ;-)

How do you like the grille? He had them made from window screen material at a hardware store, I think they look cool.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

They are some of the nicest old Altecs I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by spwal View Post
    Hi,

Im on the tweeter bandwagon, assuming it is reversable. I would like to be a guinea pig.

Please let me know what i need to do on my end.

thanks
    Similar to JBL 2407H (occasionally on eBay,)

http://www.bmspro.info/index.php?sho...10278&id=54358

We need a tiny horn to go with it, either in the 811 itself or the available space at the side, even if that means sliding the 811 over to make room. With the right dispersion pattern, it could be mounted at an inward angle at the side.

Somebody'll have to document the present geometry of the front horn/cabinet interface, elevation and plan; I can't tell from the pics.

I'll have an 811B here next week. Anybody have a spare T-35 horn they can send me for starters?

Zilch--Does BMS sell that tweeter to JBL? I've heard that JBL buys drivers from BMS and I often see a similar JBL tweeter on ebay.

I wonder how that little bugger would work without a horn, especially if used above 10khz. The horn inside the throat might load down to 10khz or so and the 1" exit might provide good dispersion, just let 'er spray.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post
    Zilch--Does BMS sell that tweeter to JBL?
    Best I know, JBL OEMs the diaphragms from BMS and builds the motors themselves.

I wonder how that little bugger would work without a horn, especially if used above 10khz. The horn inside the throat might load down to 10khz or so and the 1" exit might provide good dispersion, just let 'er spray.
    Yup, gonna try that, plus a bit of compensation on the 806A to get it flat to 8 or 10 kHz, then kill it.

Make us a little graphic where you'd put it, please, Tom....

Zilch--Offhand I'd think of cutting the center vane from an 811 and mounting the little tweeter in the mouth. If that caused too much interference mounting the tweeter in front of the woofer as high up as it will clear the cone might work very well.

In either event it should be simple to make a mount from steel strapping.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Zilch,

Are you the only one that understands why I like these so much with the added EV T-35 tweeter?

Argh.

-Storm.
    Storm,
    You could have added them to your 846U's and saved yourself $1200.00. If you would have read, and understood the response curve first.
    Pretty much the same speaker.................?

J/S-S1A

"

Here'a a Flamenco that belongs to a pal up in Chicago, he likes to augment his highs with the Fostex tweeter atop it. The Fostex sounds smoother than a T-35 IMO but I think the speaker sounds best without the tweeter. But it's his speaker. ;-)

How do you like the grille? He had them made from window screen material at a hardware store, I think they look cool.

Tom,
    Has your buddy tried moving them forward so they are on the same plane? I would think they would offer much better presence in that position.

J/S-S1A

Zilch---What do you think? In the horn might create interference and in front of the woofer might be too low but both avoid putting the tweeter atop the cabinet or to one side.

Time alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveV View Post
    On both my Flamencos and the 19's the tweeters sound better when they are over the magnet structures of the 806/802's so that means sitting them on top of the cabinets and all the way to the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Time alignment.
    I thought for correct Time Alignment the drivers need/should be on the same plane.
    Does this not retard the sound, or slow it down since it is bouncing off of the wood top panel?
    You have the dispersion of the driver shooting the HF in to the wood. The drivers in Storms do not sit there, or should I say the person who installed them did not put them in the rear, but we still don't even know if that person had a clue. I have never seen drivers sit behind the front panel in any array.
    If they sound better is it because the wood is killing the output? L-Pad instead?

J/S-S1A

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Similar to JBL 2407H (occasionally on eBay,)

http://www.bmspro.info/index.php?sho...10278&id=54358

We need a tiny horn to go with it, either in the 811 itself or the available space at the side, even if that means sliding the 811 over to make room. With the right dispersion pattern, it could be mounted at an inward angle at the side.

Somebody'll have to document the present geometry of the front horn/cabinet interface, elevation and plan; I can't tell from the pics.

I'll have an 811B here next week. Anybody have a spare T-35 horn they can send me for starters?
    Hmm... sounds like drilling is involved. No way to sit this on top or clamped on to the top of the horn? How much will the project run and is an external crossover needed... still very curious.

thanks

Time alingment? Maybe. But then lots of energy would bounce off the tops of the cabinets unless one put the tweeter some distance above the cabinets which might introduce other problems. There always seem to be other problems no matter what you do.

One would have to experiment and then decide which compromises are personally least objectionable.

I like the coaxial idea because it's neat.

Tom,
    That is why I would say move it forward. I do not agree with pushing it back. Like I stated b4 to much reflection.

J/S-S1A

Time alingment? Maybe. But then lots of energy would bounce off the tops of the cabinets unless one put the tweeter some distance above the cabinets which might introduce other problems. There always seem to be other problems no matter what you do.

One would have to experiment and then decide which compromises are personally least objectionable.
    What about some foam on the top of the cab under the tweeter to absorb reflections?

Or maybe even a piece of felt, or a cloth, something you wouldnt find objectionable to look at?
    scottyj

Thread Information