Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Looky What I just got - 4341 Monitors

4641 - my first 18 inch JBL!

Did an upgrade to the system - sold the B-380 to one of my listening party friends - and replaced it with a 4641 from dkalsi! Darned thing dwarfs the L100T beside it and the 4341 on wheels to the left of it! Still using that Harman Kardon Citation amp in Mono mode - plenty of ooomph! But its nice - played a bit of Saving Private Ryan (the segment just before Alamo) from DVD - very nice Then a bit of Master and Commander on Blue Ray .. woah - THATS playing a bit deeper. Then I tweaked the crossover settings slightly in the Integra The played the Star Trek (Blue Ray) the starting passage with Kirk's father and nero .... sounds like it goes REALLY low. Yep it was a def worthwhile changeout! Thank you Dhar - and thanks to Steve for helping me unload this thing and get it in the house!!

Name:  4641sub_5549.jpg
Views: 3515
Size:  77.0 KB

Its certainly a change from the (now gone) B-380 with 2235 15 inch woofer

Name:  B380_4383.jpg
Views: 2985
Size:  80.2 KB

And the original system when I brought the B-380 home Feb 7, 2007

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Looks like it you put it in a corner you'd get even more grunt. See how 1 Pi is better tha 2Pi. Imagine 1/2 Pi...

Maybe, but its got a lot of ooomph already!
    The HK Citation 22 worked great on the 15 inch,
    seems to have plenty of power for the 18 as well!

I probably need to tune the Integra settings a bit better first.

If it goes in the corner, I suspect pictures will come down & plaster will crack ...!

Plus, the truth is - I am out of corners!
    The 4341s are near the only available corners in the room.
    ... the opposite corners?
    basement door at one, and door to the backyard at the other!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    Looks like it you put it in a corner you'd get even more grunt.
    See how 1 Pi is better tha 2Pi. Imagine 1/2 Pi...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    Looks like it you put it in a corner you'd get even more grunt. See how 1 Pi is better tha 2Pi. Imagine 1/2 Pi...

The JBL BX-63 has a 2nd order high pass filter at 26 Hz with Q=2, close enough for this Pro version of a B460.

Just sold the 4341s for my asking price. Pickup will be within 2 weeks.
    Now I have to dismount the whole biamp system and cleanup my TV room!

The only JBL speakers left in the home theater system is the LC2 center in Cherry -
    They seem to be selling for over $200 - so I hope to sell that off within the month.

Oh, I'll keep that 18 inch sub - its happy there (grin)

I'll move the L20Ts up into my office.

And in the wink of an eye, they are gone ... whoosh!

Only JBLs in the room right now are the 4641 sub, the LC-2 Center (which I may sell once I try another DCM as center),
    and the no longer connected L20Ts temporarily still hanging in the back.
    Plus the L200 custom 3 ways upstairs, and a pair of L19s in the basement/exercise space

I do have some rearranging to do with all the amps ...

FWIW - DCMs are from a now defunct company in Ann Arbor.
    Its actually a little like Altec - somebody else owns the name now, but its not the same thing as the older models.

But these Time Frame speakers are fun, transmission line systems, with a big open airy sound and typical 92 db efficiency.
    Typically under 50lbs. Blame it on the Dahlquists & Magneplanars I was playing with -
    I've gotten to appreciate speakers where the sound isn't locked to a "box" but seems to float in the room ...

I've currently got a pair of TF600s as mains, TF500s as side surrounds, and TF400s in the back.
    Playing with a pair of TF700s upstairs (A/B with the the Custom L200s) on th Jolida Tube amp ...
    plus a pair of top of the line TF1000 on the way, and some small TimePiece satellite speakers I'll try one as a center.

Name:  DCMx6_6186.jpg
Views: 2304
Size:  70.8 KB

DCM

I have owned several pairs of DCM's - TF400's, CX-17's, CX-27's, all excellent sounding. I sold them at Circuit City and every Christmas DCM had an accomodation that let you purchase a pair for something like 75% off retail. They were really voiced well and had a nice big image, though I was never taken by the Timewindows, which had rear firing midrange drivers as well and threw off a big, unfocused sound. We sold them really well when we could sit people down to actually listen to music. If not, they went home with Bose Actually, at the time our mix was the JBL L series, which didn't really sell, except for L1's, and the Harman Kardon/PSB speakers (Ten through Sixty), in which the Thirties really stood out as well.

Anyway, enjoy the DCM's, just don't open them up - the drivers are really garbage, especially to a JBL nut - cheap, pressed frame woofers and 19mm polyamide tweeters that were probably about $5 each. I think their strength was in choosing the right cheap speakers and voicing the crossovers. DCM's downfall was the reliance on one retailer, Circuit City, for the huge majority of their sales. Soon after Circuit City took on Infinity, DCM got dumped, then brought back as a replacement for Cerwin Vega - the Timeframes were replaced by some big, cheap, black high efficiency 15" party speakers. There's a lesson in there somewhere...
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy View Post
    I have owned several pairs of DCM's - TF400's, CX-17's, CX-27's, all excellent sounding. I sold them at Circuit City and every Christmas DCM had an accomodation that let you purchase a pair for something like 75% off retail. They were really voiced well and had a nice big image, though I was never taken by the Timewindows, which had rear firing midrange drivers as well and threw off a big, unfocused sound. We sold them really well when we could sit people down to actually listen to music. If not, they went home with Bose Actually, at the time our mix was the JBL L series, which didn't really sell, except for L1's, and the Harman Kardon/PSB speakers (Ten through Sixty), in which the Thirties really stood out as well.

Anyway, enjoy the DCM's, just don't open them up - the drivers are really garbage, especially to a JBL nut - cheap, pressed frame woofers and 19mm polyamide tweeters that were probably about $5 each. I think their strength was in choosing the right cheap speakers and voicing the crossovers. DCM's downfall was the reliance on one retailer, Circuit City, for the huge majority of their sales. Soon after Circuit City took on Infinity, DCM got dumped, then brought back as a replacement for Cerwin Vega - the Timeframes were replaced by some big, cheap, black high efficiency 15" party speakers. There's a lesson in there somewhere...
    Yep - darned shame about the original DCM company ... but the speakers do sound nice.
    I've seen behind the curtain - lots of rebuild pix here and there out there ...
    The big deal is the whole thing is covered by a sock - but ... so were the magneplanars, and I didn't fuss inside them either.

Plus, this time, I'm not buying speakers for "investments" - I'm just in it for the quality of sound.
    I keep finding these DCMs for between $100 and $200 a pair - so far I've gotten
    TF400, TF500, TF600 & TF700, with a pair of TimePiece satellites on the way.
    I'll admit I did pay a bit more for the top of the line pair of TF1000s I bought ... but are TOL!
    Most of them are cheap enough to buy a few extra pairs to keep as spares - and they are skinny so they're easy to store.

Now, if I could only sell that damn Dahlquists DQ10 system (with crossover & passive sub)!!

"Typically under 50lbs."

A lot easier to deal with than using furniture moving straps or dollys with JBL Monitors.

Quote Originally Posted by moparfan View Post
    "Typically under 50lbs."

A lot easier to deal with than using furniture moving straps or dollys with JBL Monitors.
    yep - even the darned L200s with the walnut Smith horns are HELL
    to move up and down the stairs - and they are on wheeled plinths!

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    yep - even the darned L200s with the walnut Smith horns are HELL
    to move up and down the stairs - and they are on wheeled plinths!
    I understand!

I still vividly recall moving the 4345s down two floors, on a winding formal stairway, using a dolly with a flat tire at New Zenith's house three years ago. And then he had to pull my van out of his snow-covered front yard with a tractor. We're all dedicated to the big-box JBLs when we could easily just nail some Bose to the walls and be done.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

When I bought a pair of 4430s from guy in DC, he had a story where he drove through a blizzard to get his Klipsch Cornwalls.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I understand!

I still vividly recall moving the 4345s down two floors, on a winding formal stairway, using a dolly with a flat tire at New Zenith's house three years ago. And then he had to pull my van out of his snow-covered front yard with a tractor. We're all dedicated to the big-box JBLs when we could easily just nail some Bose to the walls and be done.

I need Crossovers with L pads for JBL 4340 that i restoring.

Hi

What a great job on your jbl's.

I am restoring a near mint pair of 4340 speakers. I have all the drivers but I need a pair of full crossovers with the Lpads. Does any one know where i can get this or have a pair built for me.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

you can email me at [email protected]

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steveaaa View Post
    Hi

What a great job on your jbl's.

I am restoring a near mint pair of 4340 speakers. I have all the drivers but I need a pair of full crossovers with the Lpads. Does any one know where i can get this or have a pair built for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

you can email me at [email protected]

thanks
    SteveaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! - you've got to quit posting the same thing in multiple threads.
    Pick your own thread and post there, not on other old threads ...
    this is maybe the 5th time you've posted that request.

This is NOT a very busy forum, but folks will get to you if/when they can -
    reposting the same thing over and over is annoying and kinda rude.

Last I heard about someone building crossovers for big 4 ways they were only for biamp use and I believe they well exceeded $600/pr
    and they were a very long term project that went a year or more from initial post to final shipping. I can't give his name -
    if he is interested, no doubt he'll chime in on his own, but I'm pretty sure he's out of that business at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I understand!

I drove up to Tsawwassen , British Columbia to buy my 250Ti's from member JBLCanuk. Marty wheeled them down a steep driveway , put a big bear hug on them (one at a time) and lifted them into my truck ..unscathed, (135 pounds). But down here, we always use 2 people to move them.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thread Information