Quote Originally Posted by Rpower View Post
Name:  Crown XLi2500.png
Views: 3956
Size:  158.9 KB
Trying out a new Crown XLi 2500 amplifier for my JBL 250Tis and I am very impressed with it's sound quality. I expected it to control the speakers well and it does with the bass lines more prominent and controlled. But I was hoping that it would be very revealing as well and it is, which I did not expect. This amplifier is 500 watts per channel of class A/B sound not class D as some other Crown amps are. Weighs in about 30 pounds with a HUGE torroidal transformer inside. Must allow a couple of weeks of break in to come to full clarity as it sounds rather closed in right out of the box. I am thrilled at the sound of this amplifier and for $399 delivered it is a no brainer. It may well be replacing my Parasound A23 which is a very fine amp also. Highly recommended.
Amazing value. My research indicates everyone seems to love this whole series from the 800 thru 3500. Data sez distortion is superior to the old "D" series favs. Minimum "bells and whistles" so they can keep the price low. It's all many of us old DIYers want/need. The only question I have is the warning of induced noise to pre-amps, etc., resulting from the generated surrounding high magnetic environment. Have seen this previously (I think) when trying to mix and match pro and home gear. Big power supplies, as you noted. Can usually work around it. And, the 2500 you purchased has tons of power - 500 per at 8 ohms. Can generate twice that depending on load, etc. Thanks for the flag!