Thread: Baffle Width and BSC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Might have found an illustration of what the OP means or has in mind, when talking about cab width, in a pair of EMES OWL monitor speakers with side panels. The pair of tweets do seem like an Owl staring at you!

Eargle describes and explains that monitor. Shortly, its fairly complicated in terms of electronic processing (patented), one box with two sides and a divider between woofers, it radiates diagonally outward toward each side of the room. I'm guessing the side panels here might be used to reduce LF diffraction loss/BSC. Since Eargle's material is copyrighted i'm giving a link to a "pair" of OWLs for sale.

I don't necessarily agree that i'm the one to listen to, i've been wrong before and will be in the future, though i try to check my stuff before posting. That said I agree with both Eaulive and Riley.

The "crossover compensation for that except on some amplified studio monitors", (note the OWL is two independant two-way biamped monitors), plus their mentions about wavelength.

When you think of it why go through all the motions of a potentially complex crossover if simply reducing MF/HF output balances things or even adding removable or folding side panels if its really felt to be necessary, might do the trick. The ones on the OWL seem to be plexiglass or similar.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...eld-1883468897

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    Might have found an illustration of what the OP means or has in mind, when talking about cab width, in a pair of EMES OWL monitor speakers with side panels. The pair of tweets do seem like an Owl staring at you!

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...eld-1883468897
    This is really a weird design, it goes against every fiber of my body screaming "Comb filtering!"
    My avatar: 4520 loaded with 2225H on E140 frames,
    1x 2202H on custom front loaded horn, 2x 2426 on 2370.

Thank you Ian and once again, EarlK...

Ian, I think I am getting what you're saying. Currently I have some 8cubic ft enclosures in storage that will be used as preliminary enclosures for the bass. In regard to the tops, I guess that is where I will start experimenting with different sizes etc, especially after I get my mic and can make quality observations with actual data on my end. I'm trying to learn a bit more about measurements as well as looking at the testing techniques etc, Troels does on his site as per EarlKs suggestions.

- I don't see the existing bass cabinet being the end game, and would likely build a more sufficient bass enclosure when I finalize things.

- Should have considered a sonotube attached to a baffle as being a quicker, more adaptable way to experiment with a Mid enclosure during testing, as I have no test boxes really at this point.

EarlK, I went back and found the comment. It was in "assuming the pricing isn't a bait and switch". It's in the past. I was eager to try them (12BR70), but it is what it is. I'm going to look at crossover components this week and see what kind of prices I get for building them. Using an electronic cross on the bass sounds like it'll definitely save me some $.

- What wattage resistors and what gauge coils should I be looking at getting?

- I just looked and they have 4.7mH but not 4.8mH... close enough? I only know Solen, PE, and Parts Connexion for sources of parts.

- Is it best to use just cheap caps for now? Electrolytic? Or go with some Solen films?

Thanks again... More often than not I get cold feet about stepping into a project but thanks to you folk and some silent, albeit generous members, I've got little excuse to take the plunge. Many thanks, and hope everyone has a good day! Much appreciated.

Thread Information