The reality is that despite Harman’s research they have only a very very small slice of the consumer hifi loudspeaker market. So is Harman’s research being correctly applied?

The JBL profile in terms of market visibility is over shadowed by other manufacturers such as B&W, Kef and even boutique loudspeaker brands such as PMC. This is because these brands spend more on advertising and they more frequently have systems reviews.

The JBL real hifi systems appear to live in the lofty heights of the Harman Luxury Group.

The entry point for a JBL system with our expectations here is unaffordable for most of us. It’s a generalisation but other brands do a better job at lower price points under $5,000. Andrew Jones is a proven innovator who can deliver an excellent loudspeaker system at entry price points. Jones points out he does not get buried in measurements but uses his subjective skills to advance. Sales of his designs are proof he is winning preferences. History is littered with technically perfect consumer products that weren’t a commercial success.

I am inclined to believe that Greg Timbers had the ear of the brand loyal JBL consumer market. Greg used his own license to design and voice the designs that JBL are/ were famous for.

Today JBL systems are sanitised any innovative thought process in favour of franchised technology like the imaging control wave guide. It’s a bit like a steak house opening up a chain of Burger King retail outs on street corners. If l tap my 308 LSR the 1/2 inch mdf box bong’s like a bell. Then l get around to it l will re build solid enclosures. GR Research would have a field day.

Harman mass market cheaper ranges through department store chains and DJ retailers (LSR 308 for example). This in my opinion in Harman’s cash flow including their vast lifestyle product ranges. Real hifi on its own is not necessarily a viable business to be in. This has an evident in the way parent investment companies swap around well known consumer hifi brands like Linn, Focal, Tannoy. Problems have hit long standing brands such as Audio Research.