Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Uh-oh - 4628B's

clmrt

Note to self -

Keep eyes open for decent AVR with pre-outs.

Quote Originally Posted by clmrt
    The wife FLIPPED OUT and started a whole "You're sick and you need help" thing.
    Yeah, well, show her this thread:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=6379

And tell here you're coming here for "therapy" at LEAST once a day....

Dr. Zilch

This, maybe?

[Variation on a theme.... ]
    Attached Images Attached Images  

clmrt
    Sayyyyyy.....looks killer. Almost Sony-like, if you know which model I mean. I like how you incorporated the tilt back. I like that aspect a lot. Time-alignment or asthetic?

Magnetic grille attacher thingies...I have the perfect magnets for that.

Time to buy a table saw, unless I can figger out how to do it with a circular.

clmrt
    Therapy - yeah. Where's my Methedone??????

Sayyyyyy.....looks killer. Almost Sony-like, if you know which model I mean.
    Actually, forum member Pangea's work inspired this design. Lemme see if any of it is still up here....

Alas, he deleted his early design exercises, apparently.

I like how you incorporated the tilt back. I like that aspect a lot. Time-alignment or asthetic?
    All that, but mostly, so's they don't play to yer knees.

Key to this design is that it's got big volume at the bottom (over 2 sqft. area inside), but, because of the angles and tapers, it doesn't appear massive, an important WAF element.

Even after deducting internal enclosure of the 2118, net internal volume is probably over 4 cuft., about the same as 4628B. It's an exercise in trig for you to calculate the actual internal volume.

Time to buy a table saw, unless I can figger out how to do it with a circular.
    Skill saw ain't gonna get it. Trust me on this....

clmrt
    Trig...trig...Oh - yeah, I remember now.

I'm farming out the plans to local woodworkers, to see if anyone wants a few $$ to try it out.

Think the Vas is 427 on the 145? Seems there's a thread about how JBL's spec sheet might be SNAFU'd.

Otherwise I'll stick with the original cab design, but I like to play with tuning points.

Make one outta cardboard first to get the "feel" of it. Fill with plastic peanuts to determine the actual volume.

RIP 2009
    Hey Zilch - I'll try to get that 3D stuff out this weekend...

John

Thanks, John!

I'll send you a .dwg file on this one, also.

Heh, heh.

John's got some 4628B's what could use nice boxes.

[And he knows how to build 'em, too! ]

clmrt
    If ya wanna get scary - -

I have an email buddy (member, too, or just a lurker maybe?) who has GRANITE - enough to build the plans, he says. He can cut the stock, and he has a contact that can polish and bevel the finished edges....and he's 5 miles away.

400# 4628's, anyone?

clmrt

2402 rec'd

Thanks Z!

I see what you mean about foil-like leads. I don't have a solder sucker, but I'm good with an iron.

The little JBL warning you included intimidates me a bit, about how this is non-self-centering. I haven't taken the driver apart yet because all my Allen's are straight - gotta pick up some tools - so I have yet to see how it all goes together.

I'll search up some tips and tricks in the meantime.

I forget. There may be pins in there. You might take some pics when you do it to show others here how it comes apart, and what's inside. That probably warrants a separate thread under "Technical."

Seems to me it's been documented here before, but I'm not finding it. Give it a definitive title for future reference, like: "Ring radiator diaphragm replacement." Lots of members have experience with this, and will hopefully jump in with their tips.

Mr. Widget and I did mine. His tip was to tighten the center cone (phase plug) only semi-tight after installing the diaphragm, just enough to clamp it, while doing the sweep and listening for buzzes and rubs. Then tighten fully, holding the cone firmly so it doesn't rotate and wrinkle the diaphragm, and give it a final test.

I also found some posts regarding polarity. The terminal with the black dot connects to the black terminal post. (If the dot was red, it, too, would go to the black post.... )

I'd say the warranty is pretty much void on that particular one, anyways, since it's dated 1996....

RIP 2009
    OK - here's a quick version of Zilch's modified trapezoid design for the 4628B components. The cabinet volume might be slightly less than optimal for the E145, but a little judicious EQ ought to take care of that.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images  

WOO-HOO, John. Like clmrt said, "Killer!"

Thank you again for doing the 3-D renderings.

I hadda bunch of Sony Style magazines here with the similar model cabinet he's referring to in them. Can't find 'em now, tho, of course. I think it was part of the ES line....

We gotta build some of these.

I'll do cardboard tomorrow.

[After I install the new dishwasher.... ]

Thread Information