Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: E140 = 2225???

Well its obvious it does effect the response so as long as everyone takes note of that.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    I thought Lancer's post is quite concise:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Giskard
    Two different cores, stock 2225/2235 = 1.2 T*m core and E130/E140 = 1.35 T*m core.

Red signifies changes from stock 2234H and 2235H

Perhaps the issue in the field is here baskets and cores have had the model number removed, only those experienced and technically familiar with the cores will know which is which (as noted in other threads).

OK, that being the case, can those that are "experienced and technically familiar with the cores" tell me if this is really a K140 basket?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lancer
    ...and this time if someone else posts saying "you can't hear the difference" they will be permanently banned from this site.
    Bingo.

Hey Don - we should make this a codicil to posting here.

We cannot/should not endorse, nor encourage non-factory bullshit. Period.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    We cannot/should not endorse, nor encourage non-factory bullshit. Period.
    The factory cautions regarding the altered performance. E140's reconed as 2235H's may, in fact, be the optimum choice in certain applications. Everybody's on notice that they're different. In my view, the factory frames it as a customer option.

Fact is, 2235H's are becoming harder to come by. Thrashed E140's and 2225's are being replaced with 2226H, and are thus more common. With 2235 recone kits still reasonably priced, it's reasonable to consider making 2235H's, or, in the case of E140's, hybrids out of 'em.

If the E140 hybrid produces more or better midbass than the "real" 2235H (not sayin' it does, yet, mind y'all), then trading off some of the low bass response may be a reasonable compromise.

I'll load a pair of each into 4430's and we can A/B 'em.

For the record, however, I do believe that shootin' WD-40 into pots or L-Pads is a very BAD idea....

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    The factory cautions regarding the altered performance.
    And many forumites may not have access to, nor knowledge of, that information, gentle reader...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Hello Toddalin

Can you do a side shot or measure the top plate thickness. Not sure if that's the clincher or not but that certainly could be useful information.

Hey Zilch

"If the E140 hybrid produces more or better midbass than the "real" 2235H (not sayin' it does, yet, mind y'all), then trading off some of the low bass response may be a reasonable compromise....'

Use a 2225 with the 2235 kit and leave out the mass ring. Now you have a 2234 which gets you almost just that with higher sensitivity to boot. Problem is with hybrids you don't know what you have and the more "hybrids" the more corrupted the drivers will be down the line. Sure you are free to do what you want but why screw around when there are other options that will get you what you want and still keep the drivers stock.

Rob

Hey Bo

Here's one for you. When I went to get an E-145 frame reconned I had the guy behind the counter tell me to use a 2225 kit. I was Huh???? What about the frame extension and the thicker top plate. "Oh well the frame extension comes off and the it will work just fine" Yeah but then it won't be an E-145 " You won't be able to tell the difference" Hows that for scarry. Wonder how many other's fell for it???

Rob

My point should not be mooted by some sophmoric sword-dueling smilies (re: this -> which Zilch edited out of his post, after my reply. FWIW, I loath the post-facto editing capabilities here, you weenies... )

WhenEVER something is posted that is opinion we do ourselves and our tribe the duty of posting it as such. Clearly. Too easily things posted here by long-time (or other...) contributors can be mis-construed as JBL-accepted, JBL-endorsed practice.

That is all. Carry on...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606
    Hey Bo

Here's one for you. When I went to get an E-145 frame reconned I had the guy behind the counter tell me to use a 2225 kit. I was Huh???? What about the frame extension and the thicker top plate. "Oh well the frame extension comes off and the it will work just fine" Yeah but then it won't be an E-145 " You won't be able to tell the difference" Hows that for scarry. Wonder how many other's fell for it???

Rob
    Rob, where did you go to get the E-145 reconed that the guy told you to use a 2225 kit? Was this in Farmingdale?
    scottyj

Black = 2235H
    Orchid = E140 w/2235 cone
    Tangerine = 2234H

I'm keepin' my 30 Hz, thank you....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

"Rob, where did you go to get the E-145 reconed that the guy told you to use a 2225 kit? Was this in Farmingdale?"

Bingo!!

Rob

"Rob, where did you go to get the E-145 reconed that the guy told you to use a 2225 kit? Was this in Farmingdale?"

Bingo!!

Rob
    The one and only ASP, I knew it, hadda be, no other shop would have ever told you that!

scottyj

"Black = 2235H
    Orchid = E140 w/2235 cone
    Tangerine = 2234H

I'm keepin' my 30 Hz, thank you.... "

Cool!!!

What do they look like driven with 1 watt without normalizing them so you can see the difference in sensitivities??

Rob

"The one and only ASP, I knew it, hadda be, no other shop would have ever told you that!

"

Which is why I will never use them or reccomend them.

Rob

"The one and only ASP, I knew it, hadda be, no other shop would have ever told you that!

"

Which is why I will never use them or reccomend them.

Rob
    You could have called me! I would have told you, and saved you the trip!

That shop is over and done with! FWIW, ASP was good when they were in Hempstead, you know how long ago is that?

scottyj

Thread Information