Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: New Project with JBL's 4647 and 2445

Those horns may be a longer throw horn in JBL's 238X series.

David

Edit: No, you're right; the hole patterns are the same for the whole series. They appear to not be JBL horns.

How do we feel about using 3110A's as alternative crossover to 3115A, which seem to be a bit pricey at the moment?

The jbl distributor could of used anything in that system, depending on what the customer wanted to spend? Every one has a budget even the U. of M. Those do not even look close to a 2380? Look into the throat it is compleatly different.

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    How do we feel about using 3110A's as alternative crossover to 3115A, which seem to be a bit pricey at the moment?
    I'm perfectly happy with the 800hz 3110A's and my 2446H/2380A/2206H, (soon to be 2226H), combination right now.

BTW, Zilch - I did rig up one of those padding filters you suggested, and balance seems to be much better. I haven't done any objective testing yet, though...

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec
    There's also the possibility it's some kind of clone JBL horn, where they just moved the holes to avoid copyright infringement. It may be the acoustic equivalent of a 2380 in this case. Can you take some more pics and include some measurements? I'm sure we can get this figured out...

Also - 'looks like a nice set on eBay right now - they come up a lot, and usually seem to go for $150-$200 a pair in good shape: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

John
    Yes, John I will try and get some more pictures up here. The only problem is I'm presently travelling, so I will ask a 'busy' friend of mine, who's hosting them in his garage now and see if he can take some more pics as well as get us the dimensions. Myself, I'd be very happy if we can figure this out.
    I know that when I put those horns on top of the 4647 cabs, they go well beyond their depths. This was the reason, I was wondering just how the Altec 19 designs were going to work. But I trusted Zilch, and still do, for he was advising based on the assumption that I had what I thought I had. Anyway, the drivers are right, the horns are wrong. Now I have to solve this one, and then we continue where we left off. I'm going to spend the the weekend, in part, reading up on the 3115A alternative Zilch threw at us. My zest for everthing 'pure' on this project is now lost, once that 'detective' John has pointed out that the system is not as genuine as I'd thought. Oh! well, we all learn. Now we are going to make the best of it. Those who have seen the real horns and the 4647, do the horns hang on top of the cabs, or is the length on the cabs adequate?
    Music, I say, is the first love I will miss, when I die.

PM Grumpy to post a pic, maybe. He's got 'em in his living room.

See also the data sheet early in this thread for 2380(A) dimensions.

Woofer box is 17.625" deep here. 2380A "Compact size" horn's only 9.28" deep without the driver. Driver's 5.188" deep, looks like. The assembly should not overhang.

Sounds like your friend is right about your horn, i.e., that you've got to be 40' back to listen. As Dave suggests, it looks like a long-throw setup, not the standard system.

O.K., we've got no crossovers, the wrong horns, and a LF system requiring subwoofer supplementation, all of which has to be repackaged.

Time to rethink this, maybe....

back in the garage...for now

plenty of room front-to-rear. Bracket that came w/, puts front of horn in front of cab
    by a few inches, but that's just how this pair was setup.

-grumpy
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy
    plenty of room front-to-rear. Bracket that came w/, puts front of horn in front of cab
    by a few inches, but that's just how this pair was setup.

-grumpy
    Grumpy! thanks so much. You are the person with the right horns. The horns that I have run twice or even three times the length of the pictures you posted. Boy! how I love what your's look like. Now the trouble is to get rid of the ones I have. Any takers? Swap? (Ok, Ok, this is not the place for that-sorry) Anywho, thanks a lot Grumpy. It was like night and day. Your horns do not look anything like I have. I'm trying to get my bud to take the pictures, as I won't be by them not until Feb. Thanks a lot, what pretty horns! The drivers on them, are they the same as mine?
    Music, I say, is the first love I will miss, when I die.

Drivers in pic + pretty horns

OK. I've never though of 2380A's as particularly 'pretty' (what was it someone
    said the other day... "old, grumpy, and ugly" ?) , but yes:
    if your drivers are 2445J's, then they are the same as in the photos I
    uploaded.

I've a pair of 2380A horns that are almost as pretty (one missing the sticker
    and is an early type w/o additional ribs on the backside, the other is newer
    with a not very noticeable corner "repair"). If you eventually determine that
    you need a pair that are not of museum quality, send me a PM and I'd be
    happy to discuss terms.

-grumpy

jbl
    nestawasright, (Mike)
    You have a PM.
    Ron

O.K., we've got no crossovers, the wrong horns, and a LF system requiring subwoofer supplementation, all of which has to be repackaged.

Time to rethink this, maybe....
    I've loaded 2235H's in 2507's and retuned them over in Q&D. Having heard these for two days now, I'd say the LF is done. No subs required.

Johnaec is loaning me a 2380A and 2445. I have 3110A crossovers for starters. We'll see how they play together soon.

Anybody have a spare pair of 2507's around? I want to cut PT waveguides into them. They are more substantially made and braced than L200's. Should be less resonances.

Watch for some for me, please....

RIP 2009
    Johnaec is loaning me a 2380A and 2445.
    Actually, it's a 2446, (though on paper, specs look the same...).

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec
    Actually, it's a 2446, (though on paper, specs look the same...)
    Would someone synthesize the difference(s) between 2445 and 2446 for us here, please? I know zilch about these drivers....

Phase Plug, 2446 has the newer Coherent Wave like the newer drivers

Rob

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...2446/page1.jpg

2446J/2380A on loan from Johnaec (new D16R2450 diaphragm) mates via 3110A crossover to 2235H in 2507 cabinet with two blocked ports. Plays fine "right outta the box," though a bit bright for me. I padded it down about 5 dB (bottom RTA curve) for a better sounding balance with the LF; in a normal listening environment, it might be fine without that. Mid on "MIN," HF boost on "MED."

Clean and crisp sounding, though not as transparent as the larger 2352/2435HPL combo I compared it to (rear) L vs. R. HF rolls off above 12.5 kHz, then dies above 16 kHz, per spec.

So:

1) Recone 2225's to 2235H,
    2) Buy 3110A crossovers,
    3) Buy 2380A horns,
    4) Consider upgrading 2445J to 2446J (others here can advise), and
    5) Retune your cabinets.

Gonna cost about $600 to make this happen, without the 2446J upgrade, and without whatever repackaging you contemplate.

I'd start lookin' for a pair of 4430's nearby, instead....
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thread Information