Thread: Stock Altec/JBL Physical Enclosure Information

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Sorry, Bo,

Unfortunately, I currently have no pictures to post, and have corrected the bad links to the plain text they were intended to be. The Altec forum is subject to having popular keywords auto-linked to some commercial marketing search engine, an undesired feature we've all learned to ignore. Evidently, when I copied the text from my post there, the commercial links came with it, and being used to seeing them, I ignored them in my preview.

My apologies, and my compliments to the backbone of the Lansing Heritage site. It's a VERY functional and well-managed resource that I really appreciate.

JBL4410

Hi Guys
    Here are some info about 4410 (year 1990)
    Cabinet dim. 59,9 x 36,2 x 28,7 (cm outside messured) 20mm with walnut veneer.
    Port : 15cm long, 1mm goods (should really be damped with asfalt or similar) area can be counted from the picture of the port-opening. Each square on the paper over the port is 5mm.

Any other pictures can be taken now that the box is open and i just awaite the sorrounds for the 127H-1. The best pics was more than 500Kb, so not uploaded :-(
    Cables and filter will be changed. And measurements of filter before/after will be made.

enjoy
    Attached Images Attached Images      

L100's used particle board (ouch!) with walnut veneer. was MDF invented then? internal dampening on the original vertical array L100 was strangely done on only 3 of the 6 sides of the box--the opposing side in every case is left bare. the original L100's had a bit of a boomy bass, so i covered all sides except the baffel board and was surprised that it may almost no difference. the response may have been slightly tighter but was almost the same. a friend told me that insulation does not so much affect the fundamental but, rather higher harmonics in the mid bass. don't know if this is true but my experiment would leave me to believe that he is correct.

JBL claimed "high density" particle board was supposed to have less resonance than plywood, although
    high end diy of the day liked "marine plywood" which had no voids. As to the glass, it wasn' there to load the woofer or tune the box, although you could do that. Whenever there were two parallel walls one was covered to eliminate standing waves. So, their yours, if they sound better to you with more glass that is fine, but someone didn't screw up they covered three walls instead of six on purpose. I think they were trying to make that box sound just as large as they could an more glass wasn't the way to do it.

38-7/8" Tall

25-1/2" Wide

17-3/4" Deep

Two ports each 5-1/4" diameter X 4-1/2" long in front

Front & rear recessed just under 7/16" about .400"

CC on the woofers is 15-11/16"

Either end to first woofer is 4" about 1/2" space left between the drivers

Front heavy 1" thick MDF the remaining panels are 3/4"

The outer panel corners are mitered at a 45

2"X4" internal corner braces and front to rear panel brace in the center

Loaded with two 2226H 15" drivers mounted with no counterbore behind the drivers
    JBL-BLASTER

B460 Subwoofer

Here are the full plans from my other thread. Not sure if this is the correct place to post this.

MB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information