Thread: The original Westlake / Sierra / Eastlake monitor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    This is a lovely thread. I don't think I've come across it before.

Michael, it's good to see you still posting and sharing knowledge. I see John is still active on the forum too and I know Ken and Scott are missed.

In many of the photos/links of the control rooms the horns appear to be shooting over an engineer's head if seated at the console. Do those horns have much better vertical dispersion than I assume they have? Do they not want to be on axis vertically? Is it an optical illusion?

Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
    In many of the photos/links of the control rooms the horns appear to be shooting over an engineer's head if seated at the console. Do those horns have much better vertical dispersion than I assume they have? Do they not want to be on axis vertically? Is it an optical illusion?
    It is not clear to me which photos/links you are referring to.

Speaking only about our products, the minimum dispersion of our monitors are 60° vertical and 140° horizontal.

Our tweeters are unique in the industry in that they have 180° dispersion at 15kHz so that every person at the mixing desk or in the cheap seats at the back of the room hear the same imaging and detail.

When our monitors are soffit-mounted, they are set so that the mixing position is looking straight up the throat of the mid-range horn! Set this way, there is virtually no nearfield splash off the ceiling nor the mixing desk.
    Michael Gillespie.

Thread Information