Thread: Sean Olive Interview

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post

It's a mixed bag.

I prefer the newer systems but that's a personal preference and not universal.

Rob
    Hi Rob,

Thanks for your thoughtful response. I agree it is a mixed bag. I was purely looking at JBL Consumer on market share.

I think they have kind of left a few direct radiator systems reminiscent of for example the L100 in the current range. But the current iteration is quite expensive for a bookshelf system. Then look at say a replacement 4344 your looking at the 4367. I am talking a like for like capability in output and bandwidth.

In today’s dollars post Covid anything in that class of system is now 5 x the base manufactured wholesale cost. That is what the industry is calling it. Shipping is really expensive now. I understand it and get it when l do the math but it’s like JBL (Samsung) have repositioned their medium format systems as a Luxury Product to justify it. Who with regular jobs on dual incomes a mortgage un the current rates can justify a $20,000 loudspeaker system? If you’re in early retirement no way. Back in the 70’s JBL had the enclosure construction kit. You could buy the consumer drivers from the HiFi retailer. I remember seeing these drivers in the showrooms and think wow. In my case the bug bite me. A 136A was about $300 retail then. The 2231A was the same price as we bought a pair and still have them. Unfortunately the end MRRP has blown out in the finished JBL Consumer product in that class. I think that is a real barrier for any real mass switch over to the new systems like the 4367.

If l look at it historically JBL have really doubled down on their R&D more so in the last 20 years than before and with a change of ownership it’s a different business on the Consumer side. I think Samsung as the parent investment company really wants to see a healthy bottom line. So JBL Consumer as we knew it had to change.

I appreciate your love of Revel. But like many l am not backwards compatible after living with 15” system for 40 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Hi Rob,

Thanks for your thoughtful response. I agree it is a mixed bag. I was purely looking at JBL Consumer on market share.

I appreciate your love of Revel. But like many l am not backwards compatible after living with 15” system for 40 years.
    Hello Ian

Thanks WRT Revel and 15" drivers?

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Efficiency + Displacement = Bigger more real listening experience

...like many l am not backwards compatible after living with 15” system for 40 years.
    Efficiency + Displacement = Bigger more real listening experience
    I too am no longer backwards compatible with small systems. Before the 813C's, I had only heard smaller format systems, typically a bookshelf two or three-way with a 6" or 8" driver with maybe a 10" subwoofer to compliment it. For nearly two decades, that was the standard I chased in pursuit of audio nirvana. The 813 took me by complete surprise. Now that I've lived with them, I'd never [willingly] go back. They've ruined every system I thought was good. I'm also a coax fan now too. I can't describe the difference in technical terms, but more life-like is what comes to mind. I'm listening to acts like Catie Curtis and Ani DiFranco just because I now appreciate their material's presentation out of the 813C's, whereas before I'd never actively listen to that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    I too am no longer backwards compatible with small systems. Before the 813C's, I had only heard smaller format systems, typically a bookshelf two or three-way with a 6" or 8" driver with maybe a 10" subwoofer to compliment it. For nearly two decades, that was the standard I chased in pursuit of audio nirvana. The 813 took me by complete surprise. Now that I've lived with them, I'd never [willingly] go back. They've ruined every system I thought was good. I'm also a coax fan now too. I can't describe the difference in technical terms, but more life-like is what comes to mind. I'm listening to acts like Catie Curtis and Ani DiFranco just because I now appreciate their material's presentation out of the 813C's, whereas before I'd never actively listen to that stuff.

Hello Derek

Yeah it's odd the jump with 15" drivers. I have the same bass drivers as the your 813C in my active 4 way system E-145 and 2235's. They make a very nice combo with the snap of the E-145's and the weight of the 2235.

So it's a different sound for sure more tactile more energy in the room best way I can describe it.

Smaller systems have their place. I could never fit 15's in my livingroom where my Revels are. Even then they have a sub to do the "heavy lifting" which helps.

Rob

Hi Rob,

That makes a lot of sense. Glad you elaborated. There is no one size fits all. Not really.

Its really useful to understand how people approach the practicality of setting up a System. It simplifies the whole gamut of determining our loudspeaker needs on paper from an information gathering perspective.

There’s no point looking for the world if it won’t work correctly in your situation. All the global polar plots, consumer reviews and YouTube vids won’t describe your situation or your listening needs (as l outlined above).

That as one YouTube influencer said is purely for your entertainment. The truth is they aren’t doing it for you. They are making money on your subscription. It makes even less sense to take all that information and start debating it on a Forum attempting to reach a consensus. There’s no need for it. Opinions soon dissolve into facts and practical decisions once you apply your situation and your listening needs.

I’m not going to enter into discussions on Uber hi end components (mens jewellery).

The key is being self aware of your needs and what’s going to work in your situation. This cuts through all the noise floating around cyberspace.

If you can have two separate systems like Rob that’s a great way of accommodating different listeners needs. This can be then simplified down to some realistic and practical decisions. Yes there will be some compromises but they won’t significantly impact on your particular listening needs.

Let’s not forget that there are some work arounds like adding a sub(s) to fill out the bottom end of compact main loudspeakers. This take the load (heat dissipation) off the main system woofer voices and they perform like a more dynamic system. Heat buildup in a voice coil is the enemy of you aspire to life like sound reproduction.

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Hello Derek

Yeah it's odd the jump with 15" drivers. I have the same bass drivers as the your 813C in my active 4 way system E-145 and 2235's. They make a very nice combo with the snap of the E-145's and the weight of the 2235.

So it's a different sound for sure more tactile more energy in the room best way I can describe it.

Smaller systems have their place. I could never fit 15's in my livingroom where my Revels are. Even then they have a sub to do the "heavy lifting" which helps.

Rob
    "Snap of the E-145's.." - I think you nailed it. The E-145 is rather magical to me and "snap" is a great term to describe them. Although the 813's use lowly 2215's. I have kicked around the idea of swapping 2235's in, but was told to keep the 2215's and enjoy the 813's as they are.

Agreed. As much as I'd love to have 813's downstairs where the TV is, I don't have the space. So 811C's stacked on top of subwoofers it is.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    "Snap of the E-145's.." - I think you nailed it. The E-145 is rather magical to me and "snap" is a great term to describe them. Although the 813's use lowly 2215's. I have kicked around the idea of swapping 2235's in, but was told to keep the 2215's and enjoy the 813's as they are.

Agreed. As much as I'd love to have 813's downstairs where the TV is, I don't have the space. So 811C's stacked on top of subwoofers it is.

Oh didn't realize it was 2215's my mistake. Nothing lowly about them also use an underhung coil just like the E-145s. That was good advice not to change them.

Rob

Thread Information