Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Using two pair of L100's.

Using two pair of L100's.

I'm using two pair of L100A's with a Dynaco 400 and PAS 3 in a 15x20 foot room with 16 foot ceilngs. The L100's are on JBL wooden stands, each pair side by side spaced 10 feet apart on the 15 foot wall of glass.. The room has tile floors, two walls of glass, one 15 feet wide and one 20 feet wide., one wall with fireplace and bookshelves and the other wall with a painting and ten foot opening into next room. What if any comparisons can be made to this set up and set ups using L300's, 4343's, etc. and any suggestions for improving this setup short of Bo's recommendations?

You have created major phase interference issues running multiple sources playing the same program material in one listening space.

No matter where you are in the room, you are never equidistant from them.

Using two pair of anything in this manner is a bad idea.

Worse, your extraordinarily live environment is reflecting everything everywhere.

Headphones would work....

Yep, stacking them (tweeter-to-tweeter) would be somewhat better as far as phasing and cancellation are concerned. But, it's still a trade-off, of output level and response contouring, vs the cancellation effects. Might be able to "warm up" the sound of the speaker a tad, to counteract the "hard" room. But, it's a total crap-shoot, until it's done and you can actually hear the results of both pairs stacked compared to just one pair...

Regards,
    Gordon.

If its decibels he needs, I would suggest stacking, but disconnecting one of the speakers mid and highs. I found the L100 have adequate high freq energy but not enough bass, especially when you crank it up. This would eliminate many of the problems highlighted above, yet give you the bass output.

I had a pair of 4312Ds and was on the lookout for another pair, but unfortunately I found a pair of L222 first, so I sold the 4312Ds before I could experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    You have created major phase interference issues running multiple sources playing the same program material in one listening space.

No matter where you are in the room, you are never equidistant from them.

Using two pair of anything in this manner is a bad idea.

Worse, your extraordinarily live environment is reflecting everything everywhere.

Headphones would work....
    No, you've got it ALL wrong. They sound extremely smooth AND dynamic to my ears. You and Bo should get a place together. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by JBLRaiser
    No, you've got it ALL wrong. They sound extremely smooth AND dynamic to my ears.
    It's axiomatic: "Know when a bad wank is at hand."

That'd be why you posted about them in the first place, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    It's axiomatic: "Know when a bad wank is at hand."

That'd why you posted about them in the first place, of course....
    No, the point is your post was useless, unless elitist putdowns are your bag. I asked for comparison/improvement and you get cute. No help from you,as in 'zilch'.

majick47

2 Pairs L100

My brother also tried running two pairs of JBL (4311b and L19) placed in numerous locations and none of the setups sounded satisfactory to me. I also tried runnung two pairs of L200b side by side in a large room and the results were dissapointing.

Some people do like the sound of multiple drivers interfering with each other. That's why the Bose 901 was so popular.

I'm using two pair of L100A's with a Dynaco 400 and PAS 3 in a 15x20 foot room with 16 foot ceilngs. The L100's are on JBL wooden stands, each pair side by side spaced 10 feet apart on the 15 foot wall of glass.. The room has tile floors, two walls of glass, one 15 feet wide and one 20 feet wide., one wall with fireplace and bookshelves and the other wall with a painting and ten foot opening into next room. What if any comparisons can be made to this set up and set ups using L300's, 4343's, etc. and any suggestions for improving this setup short of Bo's recommendations?
    I'd say the easy solution is to do what you want with them til you're satisfied with the results. Two pairs of the same speakers in the same room is not a crime. Maybe split the two pairs so the left and right speakers are at the front and back of the room at their respective sides.

The other models you mention are so different...so much bigger in output and dynamics that you really can't compare the two. Some woud love them in comparison....some would not...might be too much.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

No, the point is your post was useless...
    Having spent a few years here I have discovered that there are many ideas of what good sound is... I have heard L100s in a large live room and I couldn't turn them off quickly enough. I did discover that in a small moderately live room in a mid field situation I quite liked them.

Since you are happy with the sound you currently have what are you trying to "improve"?

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    Two pairs of the same speakers in the same room is not a crime.
    No, but it's likely worse than two pair of different speakers.

[HEY -- I'm just trying to be helpful here.... ]

I asked for comparison/improvement and you get cute.
    Let me put it this way, then:

For improvement, disconnect one pair of L100's.

If you've "Just gotta" run both pairs, stack them tweeter to tweeter, as Gordon suggests.

For comparision, single pairs of L300 or 4343 would be better, yes, but you'd still have to address the high reflectivity of the room you describe.

No, the point is your post was useless.... No help from you,as in 'zilch'.
    I apologize for taking your inquiry seriously. The actual intent is now clear....

Thank you to those who were civil with their answers.

"Even with all the ‘digi-wigi’ stuff, which is great, at our disposal — we still have to understand the science of sound in order to apply it. If you manage to do that, then you’ll really have something cooking. But you cannot neglect the science. You must not forget the science.”

Bob Heil

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=11038

Hey Zilch, while that is true, there is still the issue of personal preference. In all earnestness I suggest that many people prefer the sound of Bose to an accurate stereo presentation. Among our varied membership here we have many ideas as to what the ideal sound is. Privately I have suggested that you listen to some speakers I like... it may be that after auditioning them you may conclude you prefer your home-brew speakers and Mr. Raiser may very well prefer his dual L100s to speakers with a more articulate and well defined image.

I guess I am kind of repeating myself here as this "Dual L100" thread and others have been on my mind:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...7&postcount=42

Widget

Thread Information