Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Looky What I just got - Those Darned L200 Cabs (from Aberdeen)

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Brasso for the contacts ???????????
    Nah - Brasso for the brass potpouri globe next to it on the table (gotten at a recent yard sale) and we have a lot of brass stuff around to keep cleaned.

I don't use the brasso for the speakers or the reciever, but I heard its good for polishing the backside of an iPod (I keep mine in a case so it doesn't get scratched).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thank you Heather.

The real 434X receipt seems more subtile than I thought. The 2123H itself needs some taming. Maybe a smaller dogbox could make things better (small bump around 300Hz).
    In theory running the 4 drivers active using a digital crosover could result in a better setup than stock 434X. All drivers can be precisely time-aligned and it make empirical adjustement really easy. But I guess even with these tools it would be near to impossible to achieve something better than what JBL managed to get with passive networks, and would imply hours of experiments and mesurements.

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    Thank you Heather.

The real 434X receipt seems more subtile than I thought. The 2123H itself needs some taming. Maybe a smaller dogbox could make things better (small bump around 300Hz).
    In theory running the 4 drivers active using a digital crosover could result in a better setup than stock 434X. All drivers can be precisely time-aligned and it make empirical adjustement really easy. But I guess even with these tools it would be near to impossible to achieve something better than what JBL managed to get with passive networks, and would imply hours of experiments and mesurements.
    My not-too-subtle comparison of the 2123 vs the 2122 is that the '23 is more efficient than the '22 or '21, and ignoring the difference in response curves, at a minimum it plays louder - so you at least have to pad it down more or it'll be more prominent in the "mix".
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

One last question: Do you think your quasi-434X sounded better than your current quasi-L300 (with near-to-stock crossover) ?
    Is it worth throwing a 10" into the mix if I am not sure I can blend it perfeclty with the other drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    One last question: Do you think your quasi-434X sounded better than your current quasi-L300 (with near-to-stock crossover) ?
    Is it worth throwing a 10" into the mix if I am not sure I can blend it perfeclty with the other drivers?
    Thats hard for me to say.
    The current Quasi L300s are in a completely different accoustic space compared to the TV room downstairs. The Living Room has a cathedral ceiling with wooden floor and lots of plants, the TV Room had 8' ceiling, on concrete slab floor w/carpet, no plants (there are pictures of it earlier in this thread).

In addition, they now have the right woofer (2235s instead of the 2215s I had before), and NOT being biamped (Yamaha 80w/ch receiver). They sound very nice at reasonable levels - a bit harsh and shrill if I start cranking it into "stupid loud" territory.

I'm still getting to know them, but they are probably close to their final evolution.

I'm kind of frugal, so if I was looking at building either system from scratch, I'd probably go with the 3-way design - adding the 10" adds a lot of complexity to the cabinet design as well as to the crossover - unless your 4-way plan was to build a quasi 4345 - from all I hear that is in another league, as these things go.

The picture is from 2 wks ago when I had the old JVC receiver running them, before I got the Yamaha (last weekend).
    Thats Dolly Lama Diva (one of our Himalayan cats) sleeping on the sunday Wash Post

Thank you Heater!
    The descriptions you made about your L200 and 4333 experiments in your threads are very inspiring lectures!

Heather - thot you might enjoy these from my 1973 catalog....

at the time , really liked the looks of the L45 Flair , but have never run into anyone owning that model ...TOM
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Upgraded - Sonofagun Delivers the goods!!

September 17 I asked Sonofagun to make me a set of L200 foams (with the mounting frames) for me. Quite a nice price, and - he's QUICK!
    the grills and frames arrived this afternoon via priority mail and I got them mounted today. I ordered the Brown foam, (Seawolf's scanned brochure shows the smoke or Black foam) but Sonofagun does all the original L200 colors. The brown is a good match for the cabinets (the flash from my ancient olympus digicam makes them look redder somehow, but, trust me, they are a fine match to the wood).He even includes a long strip of velcro to put on the frames so I can attach them to the existing velcro on the cabinets. Very thorough guy, and great work to boot!

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Thats hard for me to say.
    The current Quasi L300s are in a completely different accoustic space compared to the TV room downstairs. The Living Room has a cathedral ceiling with wooden floor and lots of plants, the TV Room had 8' ceiling, on concrete slab floor w/carpet, no plants (there are pictures of it earlier in this thread).

In addition, they now have the right woofer (2235s instead of the 2215s I had before), and NOT being biamped (Yamaha 80w/ch receiver). They sound very nice at reasonable levels - a bit harsh and shrill if I start cranking it into "stupid loud" territory.

I'm still getting to know them, but they are probably close to their final evolution.

I'm kind of frugal, so if I was looking at building either system from scratch, I'd probably go with the 3-way design - adding the 10" adds a lot of complexity to the cabinet design as well as to the crossover - unless your 4-way plan was to build a quasi 4345 - from all I hear that is in another league, as these things go.

The picture is from 2 wks ago when I had the old JVC receiver running them, before I got the Yamaha (last weekend).
    Thats Dolly Lama Diva (one of our Himalayan cats) sleeping on the sunday Wash Post

Adding Harman to the Mix ...

Newest update: I've been real happy with the Harman Kardon 8380 5 CD changer I got a year and a half ago for the TV room system (where the biAmped 4341s live). I just had a single disc JVC cheapy before that, but this unit has the Brown-Burr chips and also decodes HDCD, and I've got maybe 2 - 3 dozen discs that have the HDCD feature.

The JVC CD player went onto the Yamaha CR-2020/JBL L200-plus 3-way system in the upstairs living room.

Well, I just got another (used) HK 8380 changer off ebay - a local seller here in Fairfax - $52 complete with cables, manual, remote and everything! I just hooked it up to the Yamaha and it sounds great.
    We played Emma's test CD "Steely Dan - Aja" and she swears she hears better separation and overall less muddy sound.
    Then I grabbed the Tommy Emmanuel CD Bo spoke about a few months back - its an HDCD recording and sounds VERY fine!

I've become a VERY big fan of these Harman Kardon changers (Its actually a MUCH more stable stack than it looks)

me too me too !!

Finally finished the assembly and parked them in the living room next to the ( now sold ) 4315's. I aquaplassed the 2425J diaphrams, made the 3133 networks and bumped out the back and used the 2312 so they *are* L300's in sound. Even found a pair of 136A's and 2231A kits for 'em...

sub

Benno

Aquaplas?

How did You Aquaplas the 2425J's??

Can anyone tell me how to get the aquaplas material?

I have some upcomming DIY projects, and im hoping that by aquaplassing som Titanium drivers, they will become allmost as good as the new beryllium... (or at least as smooth sounding)

Well, I'm hoping to follow in your good direction ... Last year I installed the 2405 slots and a 3-way 3133 crossover (thanks to 4313Bs designs!).
    Pulled the 2234 woofers (the LE15s came out last year), pulled the horns & drivers, ready to drill out the back of the cabinet, pop the short horns off the 2420s drivers and bolt long horns in their place.
    And Teddy has to watch over everything, of course ...!

Quote Originally Posted by subwoof View Post
    Finally finished the assembly and parked them in the living room next to the ( now sold ) 4315's. I aquaplassed the 2425J diaphrams, made the 3133 networks and bumped out the back and used the 2312 so they *are* L300's in sound. Even found a pair of 136A's and 2231A kits for 'em...

sub

JBL 4645
    Look at Teddy, the ole bugger sat on the speaker LOL. What’s with the new avatar just brought a (disc saw) for diy?

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Look at Teddy, the ole bugger sat on the speaker LOL. What’s with the new avatar just brought a (disc saw) for diy?
    Naw, thats an old compound mitre saw I got 2 years ago ...
    made the wheelie bases for my big speakers with it!

someone wrote last week, "Oh, you're a girl!" ...
    some folks haven't figured out hjames is Heather (grin) ...
    Just seemed like using a different Avatar might get the idea across -
    Teddy will have to suffer ...

But, as you can see from the L200 pictures below,
    Teddy takes over any room we are in ...
    He's always close ...!

Aw, no more Teddy.

My dad used to love hjames, AKA Harry James. Made me listen to him all the time.

I still listen to hjames today, but only the "girl" on Lansing Heritage. Must say I like her better.
    Out.

Thread Information