Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Japan Purchases

Obsolete

JBL Japan Purchases

Giskard,

Can you point me in the right direction for wanting to purchase JBL Japan products. If a person wanted to buy a pair of 4348's how would one do it? I contacted them direct and they said the sale of JBL Japan arrays are meant for their market place only. If a US citizen wanted a pair of Everest II's does this mean that they would not sell and ship them? I find this odd since they offer the gear for sale on their website, retail.

Thanx
    My suggestion would be to purchase from JBL Dealers as opposed to any of the Harman websites. I could be mistaken but my perception is that Harman likes try to protect various markets.

Some may have noticed over the past few years that, in addition to the MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) and the price at which a Dealer is willing to sell any given product, we now have the price which Harman is willing to sell any given product from their websites. It does not appear that Harman Japan discounts product on their websites like Harman America does. My perception is that Harman Japan has an interest in keeping its Dealer Network strong. I could be mistaken but I think Harman America has a built-in 10% or 15% discount off MSRP. I do not believe that this discounting extends to top shelf products. I believe discounts on those products are at the discretion of those particular Dealers.

The Everest II should be available from any U.S. Synthesis Dealer.

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post

The Everest II should be available from any U.S. Synthesis Dealer.
    I was thinking about that the other day, while looking on the JBL site. In the Project Everest section I didn't see how they were available, I just assumed thru Synthesis Dealers.

I contacted JBL USA and the response was, you have to import for they (4348's) are not ava. in the US market place. So back to JBL Japan awaiting a response to see what direction one needs to take.

Jeff
    J/S-S1A
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jeff-S1A

Jeff,

if you want to import from Japan, I'd suggest finding a reputable shipper via Google that deals with removals etc from Japan to the US via sea.

Then check out companies like Audio Union, as they will often have ex demo stock of things like the 4248, at good prices. Stores will often discount between 15% and 20% but in order to benefit, you really need to be on the ground, and importantly, to have someone with you fluent in the native tongue. I'd still make the trip over there. You get your speakers, a great holiday, and can probably pay for the trip by importing some other little items like cartridges and records.

Good luck at whatever you do - the whole modern 43XX series is remarkably good in my experience.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by sourceoneaudio View Post
    I contacted JBL USA and the response was, you have to import for they (4348's) are not ava. in the US market place. So back to JBL Japan awaiting a response to see what direction one needs to take.
    I guess I should have bought a few pairs and loaded them up in the trunk. :dont-know
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanx, for the tips Merlin. I'm still talking with JBL Japan, and awaiting a response. I have thought of having someone purchase for me, and handle the outbound shipping from over there. This way the purchase is made in their market place retail, and then we just leave the country with the speakers.
    I have also expressed this is a future purchase that I'm looking at sometime around November, so I have plenty of time to get it figured out.

Giskard,
    Where is that pic from? Over there, or someone here buy them, and you met them at the dock just to gander??

Jeff
    J/S-S1A
    Jeff-S1A

Obsolete
    They were on a pallet in Northridge. They were rolling off the assembly line. I also have a photo of a bare box awaiting component loading.

There are a couple things that really intrigue me about this array, and I find most interesting. First, is having design characteristics that follow the K2-S9800.

Quote from the JBL Japan site:

" “4343” the empty “4344”, and now to “4348” - -. Low the JBL4 way studio monitor which tremendous support of the audiophile the [a] is stuffed, debuts with new model number as the reference machine which masters distortion factor [waidorenji] playback. While following the box shape proportion of the blue baffle, concentration the technology which it cultivates anew with system development of project K2 S9800. Including SACD and DVD-Audio, performance of the segregation which candidly describes the potential of new generation digital audio is announced. "

Second, is the 10" woofer used in this array. It incorporates Differential Drive Technology, which we all know is the same technology used in the WGTI series woofers for the Car Audio industry. Which some of us including me have used in their HT Subwoofer applications. This is most interesting that they use this technology on a Midbass Driver. The crossover point for this driver is 300hz, so what would deem it necessary to use this type of driver in this location? The cone excursion at this given frequency is not that great, so I would think control would not be an issue. But what a great driver to place in this position.

Quote form JBL Japan site:
    Differential drive system 25cm mid- >.bus <2251J-1>
    "The 25cm mid- bus which filled the technology of JBL professional unit to the one for concave resister which becomes main point of 4 way constitution, <2251J-1> it loads. It is low, it pursues straightening power handling, in the magnetic circuit the sandwich it does large aperture [neojiyumu] [ringumagunetsuto] with two pole pieces in addition to adopting the fiber composite cone, NDDTM which is made [deyuarugiyatsupu] [deyuaruboisukoiru] structure ([neojiyumu] differential drive) it adopts system."

The material used in the HF horn in the 4348 is Aluminum, and the material used in the UHF driver is Titanium, so this is a big difference in cost from the K2-S9800, which uses [beririyumu]/[neojiyumu] in both drivers.

I do think this would be quite the speaker to listen to and own. Hopefully I'll get to do both.

Jeff
    J/S-S1A
    Jeff-S1A

Obsolete
    I started another thread on the 10-inch, the 2251 since Zilch was asking about them. I asked Zilch to post photos of his. It seems he owns four of them for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    They were on a pallet in Northridge. They were rolling off the assembly line. I also have a photo of a bare box awaiting component loading.
    Questions for you:
    If they were coming off the line here why can't we buy them here?

Did you get to listen to a pair, if so what were your impressions?

Second can you post that other pic please. ??

Jeff
    J/S-S1A
    Jeff-S1A

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by sourceoneaudio View Post
    Questions for you:
    If they were coming off the line here why can't we buy them here?

I asked about that a few years ago and the answer then was that they were intended for the Japanese Market. One could just build their own I suppose. I suspect they come off the line here so they can qualify for that good old Made In U.S.A. stamp.

Did you get to listen to a pair, if so what were your impressions?

No, I didn't.

Second can you post that other pic please. ??

Yes. Tonight.

Jeff
    J/S-S1A

That is sad. Seems like a lot of BOAT TIME. I wonder if one purchased them over there and the seller stopped shipment to Japan, and then could forward ship them to a U.S. address? That way the money goes into their economy still, and saves all the BOAT TIME and shipping/duty fees. ???

Jeff
    J/S-S1A
    Jeff-S1A

Hi.

If you find a way to get theese please let me know. Im very interested in the 4328 myself.

Best regards Tim

timc,
    Keep an eye on this thread, I will update as I progress. What model were you looking at? There is no 4328, there is a 4428, or were you looking the same direction I'm looking 4348? Type O'?

Jeff
    J/S-S1A
    Jeff-S1A

Last year, Don alluded to what I perceived as a potential realignment of availability of these products worldwide.

I'm not an insider, nor do I have any inside connections regarding such matters.

I don't read between the lines very well, so I may be considerably off base on this.

Perhaps he can give us an update? :dont-know

[2251J pics tonight....]

Thread Information