Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Synthesis - Room Design and Treatment

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post

P.S. We dont use conduit either, well at least not in houses. That went out at the same time they stopped using VIR type cables. Somewhere in the late '40's I think.
    Well, I live in the US, so I use the US standard.

As for the conduit, it serves two purposes, neither of which is required by code in this instance. First, it does provide additional shielding between the parallel runs of speaker cables and electrical wiring. Even though the runs are 18" apart, they run parallel for ten feet, so a bit of extra caution there. Second, both runs had to be pulled blind through an eight foot section of load-bearing, earthquake-proof shear wall that is ten inches thick. Trying to do that with a limp wire is a fool's enterprise. Trying to do that with four speaker cables and two power cables AND keep them at least 18" apart all the way through is lunacy.

So I drilled holes all the way through the studs and sheathing and pushed the conduit through to feed the cables. Now if you think about lining up all those holes from both ends through eight feet of wall without removing the drywall and plywood sheathing to access the studs, you get some idea of the majesty of the accomplishment.

Yes, I hit both alignments perfectly the first time. It was some grunting, dirty, sweaty work, however. I effed this and effed that more times than I care to recount. I might have slandered a deity or two as well.
    Out.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Well, I live in the US, so I use the US standard.

As for the conduit, it serves two purposes, neither of which is required by code in this instance. First, it does provide additional shielding between the parallel runs of speaker cables and electrical wiring. Even though the runs are 18" apart, they run parallel for ten feet, so a bit of extra caution there. Second, both runs had to be pulled blind through an eight foot section of load-bearing, earthquake-proof shear wall that is ten inches thick. Trying to do that with a limp wire is a fool's enterprise. Trying to do that with four speaker cables and two power cables AND keep them at least 18" apart all the way through is lunacy.

So I drilled holes all the way through the studs and sheathing and pushed the conduit through to feed the cables. Now if you think about lining up all those holes from both ends through eight feet of wall without removing the drywall and plywood sheathing to access the studs, you get some idea of the majesty of the accomplishment.

Yes, I hit both alignments perfectly the first time. It was some grunting, dirty, sweaty work, however. I effed this and effed that more times than I care to recount. I might have slandered a deity or two as well.
    Blimey that must have taken your hours of sweaty work!

I guess you have rabbits foot around your neck for luck now.

I can imagine just how flipping hard it was to do all that and get the holes spot on!

Well done, bloody good show mate.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    No I’m far from blind as of yet. I see what looks like (T shape)

Oh, I see now sorry weird looking plug?
    20 amp plug = T shape plug.
    15 amp plug = non T shape plug just two slots

Quote Originally Posted by jblsound View Post
    Its called doing things half assed, as far as I know only the USA, Canada use 110V for most things.
    But its well known that using 220V is much more effiecent. I've got a Unisaw table saw that can be set up for either. I bought it from a door shop that went out of business 25 years ago. They had it setup for 110v, I changed it to 220V right off.
    Same with my well. It had a 110V jet pump, changed it to 220V pump, that dropped my electric bill.
    Canada is 120v and 240v.

When I measure my 120v. with a meter it is around 117v.

Mike Ronesia
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    20 amp plug = T shape plug.
    15 amp plug = non T shape plug just two slots
    This may help if anyone cares. For what it's worth our house is all wired for 20 amp but has 15 amp outlets throughout. I guess it's good to know I can just stick in a new outlet if I need to...Or just twist the prong.

ti dome

would you share a flor plan of your room
    a cad plan or sketchup

Well, I can share a few pictures anyway. I may be posting several times today as things take shape, then more tomorrow as we get the gear set up, though I guess that will be in another thread.

I finished the carpet this morning, so here is a shot from the back corner. These are uploaded straight from the camera, so there's no adjustments. They may be dark.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

Lens cleaner, anyone?

You can see the expected carpet rash on the walls. I anticipated repainting the brown one more time for this reason.

Upstairs, I'm washing the black drapes that go over the media storage, as well as the two sets (one black, one brown) that will go over the opening to the fitness/music room.

In the meantime, here are some floor level shots from the entry, going from left to right. My computer bag was in the way somewhat. From the top step to the left of the room:
    Out.

Right front of the room (which you've already seen from the standing position):
    Out.

Then the right side and real wall, including the ever-present shop vac:
    Out.

Mike Ronesia
    The room is looking very nice. You must be starting to feel it

Keep the pics coming please

All the speaker wires are in place. To get the wires to the back, I took them over the entry. This will be hidden from site by the valences of the drapes on either side of the opening.
    Out.

in the equipment closet they all come to a wire loom I built. This keeps them separate and in order. It also provides strain relief for the amplifier terminals. Finally it allows all the speaker cables to come straight down and away from power cords, which will be running straight across.
    Out.

That's a lot of speaker wires to keep straight, so of course each is labeled at both ends with a distinct identifier. I used a secret set if symbols. It's called the alphabet.

I'll put labels on the loom, too.
    Out.

The racks are getting a final cleaning and mechanical inspection in preparation for the real installation.
    Out.

Thread Information