Thread: Altec 210 Split

Altec 210 Split

I've acquired an Altec 210 cabinet, and plan to split the cabinet to make it more manageable. I'd appreciate comments from others who have done this, and specifically how the dealt with the center braces and the physical cutting.

Thanks!

- Gary

Quote Originally Posted by gek View Post
    I've acquired an Altec 210 cabinet, and plan to split the cabinet to make it more manageable.
    - Gary

Why the tears? The cabinet is rather beat up, and this is an attempt to rescue it. I'm hoping to divide it into two and refinish it so that I can use it in a stereo setup - and to improve the bracing.

- Gary

You might want to email Mike at [email protected]

He use to have a website on how to split these. I have been thinking about replacing my 4530 cabs with these. His website is still up but the pix are gone. Cheers.

http://www.users.qwest.net/~ccfrye/index.htm

Thanks, I saw Mike's site (as well as his article in Sound Practices). Sad that the drawings are gone. I'll try emailing him.

As I've been examining the cabinet I'm impressed that it would be a reasonable project to make one from scratch with some careful measured shop drawings. The horn flare is much easier to reproduce than the 825 flare.

- Gary

The 210 split is essentially done, drivers are a pair of 420A's reconed as 416's by GPA.

Some additional pic's are in the link below.

I ended up keeping a small port at the bottom as well as a 4" opening in the rear behind the woofer.

I'm still working on integrating it into the rest of my system but it has very impressive low frequency output and mates well with the A-5's

http://www.the-planet.org/A210.html

- Gary

Thumbs up Awesome Nice Work

Very Nice work.What kind of bass does it produce,are you using 515's

Nope, currently a pair of 416's (well actually some 420A's that were re-coned by GPA as 416's).

Bass is deep, and tight as long as I keep the cut-off low (below 100hz). Above that I'm getting some resonance and may require more cross-bracing. At the moment they're just being a sub-woofer for the A-5's with an active crossover at 70hz driving a pair of Mcintosh Mc60's.

- Gary

Quote Originally Posted by gek View Post
    Nope, currently a pair of 416's (well actually some 420A's that were re-coned by GPA as 416's).

Bass is deep, and tight as long as I keep the cut-off low (below 100hz). Above that I'm getting some resonance and may require more cross-bracing. At the moment they're just being a sub-woofer for the A-5's with an active crossover at 70hz driving a pair of Mcintosh Mc60's.

- Gary
    Very,Very,Nice how do those macs sound as well.

Thread Information