Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4343 buyer's guide

lfh

4343 buyer's guide

Hopefully I'll get the chance tomorrow to listen to the 4343:s spotted by Figge! Since my experience with JBL monitors is limited to the 4311:s we have at work (which IMHO still are fine as "party speakers", but nothing I would like to use for critical listening), I'm not sure what to expect. Thus any and all advice on what to look/listen for is highly appreciated!

Needless to say, I'll visually inspect the drivers for foam rot, check for buzz 'n rub (I'll bring a tone generator), turn the attenuators, etc, etc.

What are the factory recommendations for positioning and dialing in the pads? I figure a "pretty large" listening triangle is required (reflecting the 4-way design), and some toe-in, slots in ear level, and pots at "0 dB" (or center detention) is a good starting point - right?

What if (God forbid!) I think they sound like crap? Shall I just blame it on (disregarding my own reality distortion field ) worn-out diaphragms and dried-out capacitors (and/or other parts of the signal chain), and still drop well above 3 grand, being confident that if only those issues are addressed, I'll reach Nirvana? Or maybe, after all, loudspeaker technology has advanced during the past 25 years to the extent that even a 100% up-to-spec pair really requires "neural nostalgia inverse filtering"... Stated another way: Will the old heroes give a recent pair of speakers at this price level a match?

You'll not find them sounding like crap!

For pad level I prefer mids 0, hf -2, uhf -2

Do not worry for dried caps. They last long. I changed all caps to high end types + bypassed them though.

Check if the 2121 are original, this is crucial!

Good luck! Get'em

Well from my experience with my home built mains and 4344 clones which both run 10" JBL midranges I would say you are in for a real treat. Well you should have good solid lowend a midrange that is fast dynamic, clean and clear as a bell and a high end that you can hear every touch of a brush on a cymbal. Actually every thing is dynamic clean and clear as a bell. As far as large window not really I can get very close to the 4344 and they sound cohessive, I use a different lense so that might change things a little. They seem to like to be farther apart than you would think and I have my slots outside and yes they need to be at ear level. If you can get them up off the floor a bit. I built stands for mine. As far as a recent pair I think they will very easilly once you get them set-up. Do you have any way to measure them like an RTA?? Would be good to help you balance them out. By ear gets tuff. You ears can do funny things as far as actual vs. percieved driver levels. If you don't like them at first don't loose heart you just may need a little work on the set-up. Mine did when I first turned them on I was like Hmmm. Once I put a little time in it was YESSSS!

Good Luck
    Last edited by Robh3606; 10-12-2004 at 03:44 PM.

The Pads will depend of the room acoustic and associated equipment, be prepared to experiement.

The last pair I heard in captivity were John Nebel's in Colorado.
    Nectar to my ears. If you have a nice vinyl set up you are in for a treat.

I am continually surprise by the resolving power of my 4345 4 way's with a good MC cartridge, they are wasted on CD imho.

If you are serious, consider upgrade the compression driver diaphragm.

The classic 4 way demands the highest amplification you can afford, bi amp if you can. UK HIFI World reviewed the 4343 as the B&W801 answer for Jazz and Rock.

On first listening, if you are used to the classic JBL 2 ways they tend to sound critical and analytical on some program sources, but thats the price of accuracy.

Ian

lfh
    All, thanks much for your prompt advice! A full report will follow (ETA tomorrow). For now, two more questions:

What are your typical listening levels (qualified guesstimates are fine)?

How does one best mechanically decouple the speakers from the floor?

(So what do I think? In short: This really should be a "non-brainer"...but (always a but) I have concerns, the nature of which you can tell from my questions... I already get the evil eye from a neighbour due to practicing bass (guitar) and electronic drumset using headphones. )

What are your typical listening levels (qualified guesstimates are fine)?

Hmm depends on the music. Most rock the average unweighted is in the low 90's weighted in the 80's

How does one best mechanically decouple the speakers from the floor?

I built stands on castors so the only thing touching is the wheels tangent point. Can't image much energy coupled through there. You have a pair of short strong foot stools???

(So what do I think? In short: This really should be a "non-brainer"...but (always a but) I have concerns, the nature of which you can tell from my questions... I already get the evil eye from a neighbour due to practicing bass (guitar) and electronic drumset using headphones. )

Oh boy! Glad I don't have to deal with that. You friendly at all?? Could invite to your next party when you celebrate your new additions???

Rob

The Widget is the Loud King, all those amps and 1500 subs..

I reackon if he thought draining all the water out of the Hoover Dam would make it go louder, he would.....LOL.

Rob is another mega amp nutter for Volume, stacks of Crown amps everywhere second only to the Downtowner Venue. ...although I was spared some mercy when I visitied.

A couple of issue on level. Play at a level where you can start to sense the transient dynamic and micro details...too loud and your ears will compress. Always set your pads at the level you normally play at due the equal loudner response of the human ear.

Loud King my A$$

Ok, I do air it out on occasion, but I typically listen to peaks of 95-100dBA when critically listening to LOUD music and a bit less for a quiet female vocalist.

I do find that with the 4001s and 4003s I am listening at even lower levels as I get a real sense of being at the session without having to crank it up.

Widget

Re: Loud King my A$$

Originally posted by Mr. Widget
    Ok, I do air it out on occasion....
    Ah HA! So THAT's what I been hearin' over here....

"Rob is another mega amp nutter for Volume, stacks of Crown amps everywhere second only to the Downtowner Venue. ...although I was spared some mercy when I visitied."

Hey I ressemble that remark! Come on I am not that bad. And the Downtown I wish! Spared some mercy huh! She exagerates!! Well a little.

"Play at a level where you can start to sense the transient dynamic and micro details...too loud and your ears will compress."

Good advice and easy to forget. The dynamics should be easy to hear at a comfortable level.

Rob :

but I typically listen to peaks of 95-100dBA when critically listening to LOUD music and a bit less for a quiet female vocalist.
    Wow, Really ! I listen in the area of 80 - 90 dbA .

EDIT: ( Actually I use the "C" weighting on an SPL meter. )

Sometimes I just listen to classical music over the compression drivers .

( This is also my most "productive" time for listening to various capacitor combinations )
    Ooops - wrong thread .

<> Earl K
    Last edited by Earl K; 10-14-2004 at 05:30 AM.

Originally posted by Earl K
    Wow, Really ! I listen in the area of 80 - 90 dbA .
    Well, I just went downstairs and played some music and kept track of a few cuts and the SPL levels.

Joni Mitchell For the Roses from Travelogue. This is an album of Joni's classics with orchestral accompaniment. Peaks of 91dB

Zero 7 Home from When it Falls. Contemporary Electronica. Peaks of 85dB

Afro Celt Sound System Lagan from Further in Time. World/World Beat. Peaks of 90dB

Only 90dB peaks and the deep bass could still be felt in your guts!

Joe Jackson Sunday Papers from Afterlife. Live recording of Rock and Roll. Peaks of 98dB.

I guess that is in line with my earlier estimate. If I threw on The Who,Who's Next I imagine I would handily pass the 100dB threshold! Basically, for each type of music there seems to be an appropriate level. When I was younger the Maximum R&B of The Who was meant to be played at 120dB plus, but as we age we mellow.

Originally posted by Earl K

Sometimes I just listen to classical music over the compression drivers .

Now I hope you are joking with us!

Widget
    Last edited by Mr. Widget; 10-13-2004 at 11:46 PM.

Now I hope you are joking with us!
    Nope, dead serious .
    Probably amounts to a couple of hours a week -mostly Sunday mornings .

<>Earl K

JBL Sunday School........what a Tribe that must be..LOL

Ian

JBL Sunday School........
    Good One !

But actually since June , its' been back to "Altec Sunday School" for some "Old Testament" studies .

<> Earl K

Thread Information