Thread: 2226 to 2235 recone?

2226 to 2235 recone?

It's not on the original compatibility list here:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...highlight=2235

VGC a problem? Should make a BETTER 2235, no?

No, not at all !

Hi Zilch

VGC a problem? Should make a BETTER 2235, no?
    I can't see why you would think this hybrid would be better than an original 2235h . Can you explain ?

The way I see it , is ;

2226; Wrong gap size ( width is bit larger and the depth is a tad deeper - .32" deep ), the .75" deep coil will sit slightly "off of center" since that coil is located on the voice coil former to be centered at the 1/2 way point of a .28" deep gap. Even if the 2235 coil gets centered in the 2226 gap , there is now slightly "less" overhang which will result in less Xmax. FWIW, the 2226 already has a .75" deep coil in its' .32" deep gap . Its' stated Xmax is .3" ( for the 2226 ) vs .33" for the 2235h in its intended magnetic assembly.

TS parameters would be unknown and would need to be measured.

You would probably get a usable home hifi speaker if you created this hybrid, I just wouldn't believe that it would be inherently superior .

Why not just add some foam surrounds ( and mass rings ) to some stock 2226 woofers? At least the coil/gap will be centered properly.

regards <. Earl K

Hi, Earl,

Thank you for your informed response.

2235's are gettin' hard to come by, and priced accordingly when available. The cone kit is relatively cheap, though, so conversions may be a more reasonable option.

2225's are on the list, so when I saw some smoked 2226's for cheap, I wondered if they would be suitable as well, thinking VGC might give even more power handling capacity than the original.

From your knowledge of the mechanical specs, are all of those on the list suitable for the conversion? Some preferred over others? The alnico ones won't have the power capacity of the ferrite ones, in any case, according to earlier discussions.

I also recall from the earliest forums here that when JBL discontinued the 2235, there was an improved equivalent introduced by McCauley. I don't see anything like that on their website, though. Their current "extended bass" 15" Model 6242 with a 39 Hz. Fs is not gonna pop into DIY 4430 builds, I wouldn't imagine.

No doubt, there are other alternatives, but we'd like to stay with JBL, of course....

From your knowledge of the mechanical specs, are all of those on the list suitable for the conversion? Some preferred over others?
    FIRST CHOICE; To my ears, when listening to bass produced from the .28" deep gap; the recommeded "ferrite" magnetic assemblies are preferrable to the Alnico types. That means the 2205h(j), 2225h(j), 2231h(j) and of course the 2235h(j). These all have the correct magnetic assembly for this recone kit and have the correct flux density of 12000 gauss .

SECOND CHOICE; I would use the ferrite magnetic assembly with the 13500 gauss level in the gap. This produces a bit more upper midrange and a little less deep bass. But, I would still chose this "off the list" hybrid over the correct ( recommended ) Alnico assemblies. The choices here are the E130 and the E140. Giskard once covered this hybrid in a neato, matrix-style chart.

THIRD & FOURTH CHOICE; The Alnico magnetic assemblies of any gauss level are my last choice for reconing into usable VLF woofers .

regards <. Earl K

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K
    Giskard once covered this hybrid in a neato, matrix-style chart.
    Hopefully Giskard will send that 2235 recone compatibility chart along with the LE5 matrix over to Techbot for posting in the Technical Reference forum.

They're useful stuff, they are....

I've thought about this...

I'm of the disposition to try this sometime, using aftermarket parts:

Voice coil for a 2241 (vented gap-compatible, 1" long winding, IIRC)
    Cone for a 2235
    Whatever appropriate spider (B or C stiffness, i.e. pretty "soft")
    4.4" dustcap (instead of 4.125" stock 2235 dustcap, to accomodate the longer former length)
    2226 basket assembly

That should produce, in essence, a "super 2235"... about a .37" or so Xmax, 600 watt power handling...

Regards,
    Gordon.

TimG
    They are hard to find, though I have seen them sell on ebay several times, it sound like what you are looking for is an ME150HS, as used in the S3100. It looks like it uses a motor similar to the SVG 2227H and a cone similar to the 2235H. JBL also makes the HS136 woofer for the S2S subwoofer that has an added magnet and a higher mass cone on the 2226 motor that could work well for home use.

Huh... I'll have to see if there's an aftermarket kit listed for the ME150S. That might just fit right into a 2226 basket, in theory...

Regards,
    Gordon.

Hi

( ME150h ) That might just fit right into a 2226 basket, in theory...
    No,,, the ME150h kit ( if actually obtainable ) might drop into a 2227 basket but the 2226 will be a no-go.
    The 2227 has a .5" deep gap ( like the ME150h and the 2242h ) while the 2226 has the shallower depth gap of .32" .

regards <. Earl K

Thread Information