Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woofer Tester II

Obsolete

Woofer Tester II

This was posted on another forum.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...25&rak=390-802

If anyone orders one let us know how you like it.

If anyone gets one in the SF Bay Area, I would be interested in comparing it's results to those from using Clio.

Widget

I am also curious!

I have the original and it is a great bargain for use at home.

Ron

Obsolete
    Just happened on this today -

BassBox 6 Pro Changes
    Version 6.0.20 changes (29-Mar-05):
    • A new import filter was added for the Woofer Tester II. It can import the measured Thiele-Small parameters from "log" files created with the "Export to BassBox" command in the Woofer Tester II's File menu.

X•over 3 Pro Changes
    Version 3.0.15 changes (11-Apr-05):
    • Removed the driver polarity from the impedance net plot line calculations when the phase is included. This is because the driver polarity does not affect the impedance presented to the amplifier.

Version 3.0.15 changes (29-Mar-05):
    • A new import filter was added for the Woofer Tester II. It can import the measured Thiele-Small parameters from "log" files created with the "Export to BassBox" command in the Woofer Tester II's File menu. The new Woofer Tester II can measure both open and sealed back drivers (woofers and tweeters) and the import filter allows data to be imported for any driver (woofer, midrange or tweeter).
    • A new feature was added to the System Impedance graph. The user can now control whether the net impedance plot line is summed with or without the phase in similar fashion as the net amplitude response plot line. The feature is controlled with a new net impedance "ø" (phase) checkbox on the "Graph" tab of the Preferences window.
    • The calculation of the band-pass filter of a 3rd-order 3-way crossover network was tweaked to provide a better response on the low-pass side of the band-pass filter.
    Could be fun I suppose.

RIP 2009
    Dang it! I just recently got BBP6 and XO3 and now you're gonna' make me go out and get sumpin' else...

John

Obsolete
    Yeah. It's cheaper than the orginal Tester was though and supposedly considerably better. The only thing left to get would be an RTA to check real world results. Gotta love being able to run all this crap automagically. I think Robh3606 already has BB6P and an RTA

Other uses which might not be so obvious would be inductor triming and quick measurement of enclosure tuning frequencies. The USB hookup makes it easy to use with laptops on the go.

I went ahead and ordered one to play with.

I think Robh3606 already has BB6P and an RTA

Your right I am curious to see what you think.

Rob

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    The only thing left to get would be an RTA to check real world results.
    'Already got one in the DBX DR260 - calibrated mic also...

The USB hookup makes it easy to use with laptops on the go.
    That sounds kool! The laptop can control the DR260 via serial port, so that leaves the USB open...

Let us know your impression when it arrives!

John

$159.00

Hell, I paid just a little over $300.00 when they first came out. SOunds like a bargain.
    ROn

So, it'll generate the impedance curves for various compression driver/horn combinations we need for crossover tweaking?

Ordered....

Obsolete
    What do you think so far Zilch?

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    What do you think so far Zilch?
    It was up and running in minutes. After quick calibration, it generated definitive information on Fs of old vs. refoamed LE14A's (10 minutes of testing), easily confirming standard advice on the subject from this forum.

Instructions are "sparse" (meaning a quick read), and I had to play with the parameters a bit before I became comfortable with what was going on. The format and content of the various export options remains unclear.

I'm still a bit uneasy about letting it sweep compression drivers at low frequencies, but the testing currents are so low (3 mA) that I have little basis for concern, apparently.

It's generating beaucoup useful info here, and lotsa cool plots, too.

Gonna test some box tunings next, and I need to get a roll of nickels for mass loading woofers. Instructions inform you fully about about that part....

User Manual here: http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/390-802m.pdf

It's time to update!

I will pass my old one off to one of my friends and have to buy the new one and since I will have a new computer(this one is dying slowly), I can buy the BB6 and other software to get a new software package altogether.

Ron

Important info on WT2....

After some e-mail exchange with WTPRO(helpful forum memeber here), I finally figured out why my WT2 would not work correctly and thought I would pass it on here for others like myself who are not pc wizards.

I originally could not get the calibration or Qtc/etc tests to run no matter what I did, after some e-mails with WTPRO, I found out that when using a "USB" that my pc would default audio to the WT2, after I changed the audio(sound devices/etc) to default to the pc's sound card, I was able to move on.

I still am not proficent in its use like the old woofer tester(a dinasour like myself), but with more use I am getting better.

So if your audio defaults to the WT2, change the default to the sound card in your pc, and things should work just fine!

Ron

Thread Information