Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 70's foam grills Really!

Audiokarma

70's foam grills Really!

Well OK, they're not JBL's, but thought you might get a kick out of these anyway. And hey, how often do you get to see a pair of 70's speakers with original foam grills that haven't already deteriorated into oblivion?

Fedex Ground delivered these yesterday from original owner who bought them new in 77 or 78. He claims that he put them away in 1982 where they've been sitting in original boxes since. Can't say for sure, but looking at condition, it sounds plausible.

These are HD-77's from the HD series that replaced Imperials. They were the last series to use the sculpted foam.

Walnut cabinets show only minor wear. Woofers need refoamed. Check out the close up of the grills to see how intricate the pattern is.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Haven't seen anything like that since the dorms in college...

Widget

Such nostalgia!

Ah yes, I remember these, and the Imperial line. These had the foam plugs
    you could install or remove in the port, depending on your preference.
    The plug can be seen in the photo.

Another nostalgia piece...did we really like that autumn palette back then? Brown, gold, avocado?
    Out.

Audiokarma
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    Another nostalgia piece...did we really like that autumn palette back then? Brown, gold, avocado?
    and what of the ever popular "burnt orange"

Quote Originally Posted by Audiokarma
    and what of the ever popular "burnt orange"
    Careful now, don't laugh too hard...JBL also used to offer an orange grille on some models, such as the L100...

Peter

Audiokarma
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    Yeah, they're definitely flashback specials. I got them (fortunately, at the right price) mainly for the novelty of the grills. Not to mention collectability (also have original shipping boxes). When I'm ready to move them along, I'm fairly confident that some other foolish nostalgia buff will make it worth my while on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by pmakres1
    Careful now, don't laugh too hard...JBL also used to offer an orange grille on some models, such as the L100...

Peter
    ...and here they be in all their Burnt Orange glory.

Actually, I think they're sorta cool....so seventies!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    OPUS POCUS

Those orange grilles!

Quote Originally Posted by 57BELAIRE
    ...and here they be in all their Burnt Orange glory.

Actually, I think they're sorta cool....so seventies!
    Ah yes! And I agree they were pretty cool. Alas, my L100's had the brown grilles.

Peter

Ahem!...

Who? Me? Oh yeah...

I remember attempting to reproduce those Marantz grilles a few times - wasn' real successful - problem is you need a precision machine setup to make and can only justify the machine cost with production level quantities (no onesies or twosies!).
    Uh, have you tried finger poking at that foam yet ..WARNING! WARNING! DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!

I think I can see signs of crumbling on those L100 grilles.
    40+ years of sacrifice...and for what???

Regis

Good deal!

On those Marantz speakers. Have you had a chance to fire them up yet? The four free Kenwood 70's 5-ways I got along with my Sansui actually aren't bad "regular" style speakers (the 15" Kenwood woofs can't compete with the 10" in the L-110's) but the midrange is pretty nice.

Sonofagun could use those orange ones for color matching, if he doesn't have the burnt orange down yet....

[He sure got the blue right....]

Audiokarma
    Quote Originally Posted by Regis
    On those Marantz speakers. Have you had a chance to fire them up yet?
    Of course I remembered these well from the day when you could order them out of back of Stereo Review. I think it was J&R that carried them, along with the Pioneer HPM's. I had never heard them before but have owned HPM-100's and a couple of the Yamaha Monitors from the same era like NS-690II and 590's. I figure what the heck, here's a chance to hear another example from the same time frame. With no great expectations, I did fire them up. Bear in mind I didn't really crank em since the one surround is pretty shot. I was actually pleasantly surprised. No objectionable sounds emanating. And actually, the the highs sounded pretty nice and detailed. They also put out a reasonably nice stereo image. Initial impression is a fairly accurate presentation. I do want to get the woofers redone so I can put them through their paces. They are rated up to 250 wpc. I believe they are rated to 30 Hz but can't say for sure how optimistic that really is.

Audiokarma
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofagun
    Ahem!...

Uh, have you tried finger poking at that foam yet ..WARNING! WARNING! DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!

I think I can see signs of crumbling on those L100 grilles.
    Not to worry, mine are definitely being handled with kid gloves. I did carefully vacuum them to remove the accumulated dust using a narrow suction nozzle and caution not to apply any pressure. I would say they are somewhere in the range of 95+ % complete. The bottom left corner has retreated about 1/2" by maybe 1" and the sharp edge along the left bevel is losing some of it's definition. But otherwise, they are in remarkable shape. I wonder if it is from being stored in controlled environment and shielded from U/V?

Quote Originally Posted by Audiokarma
    Not to worry, mine are definitely being handled with kid gloves. I did carefully vacuum them to remove the accumulated dust using a narrow suction nozzle and caution not to apply any pressure. I would say they are somewhere in the range of 95+ % complete. The bottom left corner has retreated about 1/2" by maybe 1" and the sharp edge along the left bevel is losing some of it's definition. But otherwise, they are in remarkable shape. I wonder if it is from being stored in controlled environment and shielded from U/V?
    MIGHTA HELPED, BUT THEY OBVIOUSLY STILL SELF-DESTRUCT.
    40+ years of sacrifice...and for what???

Thread Information