Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Westlake HRX Cards

New Westlake HRX Cards

I just got them installed and will go through some familiar material this evening and make a quick initial impression.

Here are some photos. They have changed the op amps to a different model, replaced the decoupling caps from AVX to Wima brand. I note they have doubled up on the filter caps combining different values but are the same series polycarbonates at 1% tolerance. They have added a few more electrolytic’s and resistors.

Here are the photo's
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Damn!

My God......tha is busy... .

Looks like a 1st generation 8086 memory board..its must have taken a long time to make!

The chips appear to be JMC......

Ian

That is a bunch of op amps!

Widget

WOW that's a busy board!! Why are only some of the capacitors staked with potting compound?? You have a schematic?? Curious if they are directly in the signal path.

Rob

Rob,

I saw the block diagram, I think its a state variable filter with some bessel allpass delays.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606
    WOW that's a busy board!! Why are only some of the capacitors staked with potting compound?? You have a schematic?? Curious if they are directly in the signal path.

Rob
    That is an interesting question Rob. Its silicone. I am going out on a limb here and could be out to lunch but I believe they mixed 2 different values of the polycarbonate caps to hit the proper filter value. The problem is I cant see the back cap value due to the silicone.

These polycarbonate caps are made by Electrocube and are 1% (F Series)tolerance.Production ended on this cap over 3 years ago and they are very hard to find. I have pulled my hair out trying to find spares but those who source them want several hundred dollar orders before getting them.

I Need

20 x .01uf 50v 1% Part number 652A-1A103F
    16 x .068uf 50v 1% 652A-1A683F
    16 x .02uf 50v 1% 652A-1A224F
    16 x .22uf 50v 1% 652A- ?

They have switched the op amps from NE5534N to a new op amp 5534D made by JRC

The decoupling caps (Red) are Wima 1.0uf 5% 63v. Have not had time to look up the dielectric yet but think its polyester?

Ken

RIP 2009
    OK - for us onlookers here, can you explain exactly what these HRX cards do? I'm assuming they're some kind of active crossover/EQ stuff that are also speaker specific...

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec
    OK - for us onlookers here, can you explain exactly what these HRX cards do? I'm assuming they're some kind of active crossover/EQ stuff that are also speaker specific...

John
    Thats right John, they are the filter cards for the 4-way Westlake HRX Crossover. Each card is for one channel

Are the crossover points.

Ken

RIP 2009
    Thanks Ken. I actually went to Westlake's site after posting, but even though they show the HRX, almost no info is provided...

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec
    Thanks Ken. I actually went to Westlake's site after posting, but even though they show the HRX, almost no info is provided...

John
    Yep, they are fairly intraverted.

Those are some complex boards! How do they sound?
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin
    Those are some complex boards! How do they sound?

Ok, after some serious listening last night I have to admit there is a overall improvement to the soundstage and imaging. The tonality is slightly smoother. I noticed this most in female vocal tracks with fairly black backgrounds. It stood out in horn solos as well ie: Winton Marsalis.

That being said, in no way shape or form would I spend thousands of dollars for such a slight improvement. In a studio environment (perhaps).

A bit harsh perhaps but reality. I will send these loaners back on Monday. I think Ian’s design has better potential. We will find out.

Ken

I sure hope so.

Not meaning to go off topic but what cables and interconnects are in the system at the moment?

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie

I sure hope so.

Not meaning to go off topic but what cables and interconnects are in the system at the moment?

Ian
    Interconnects are standard RCA to the pre.

Pre out to Eq in is Unbalanced RCA to XLR.

EQ out to HRX is Balanced XLR

All 8 channels from the HRX are XLR Balanced using telescoping XLR interconnects. That is pin 1 is dropped at the inputs on the amps.

Thats it.

Thread Information