Thread: Quick & Dirty 4430-Inspired Two-Ways Part I

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    B380, 2426J on 2370A, 3110A. Attenuated HF 6 dB, not quite enough yet. Narrow vertical field, 40°, is apparent. Not 4430's, tho, I hear the horns.
    A walk down memory lane - my first non-exponential horn system.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    I'd forgotten how superbly competent B380's are.
    I find that particular enclosure volume tuned up to ~ 29 Hz quite fantastic. I've built several custom pairs of 4430's exactly like that. It's basically Keele's "optimum" calculation for the 2235H (4.55 cubic feet tuned to ~ 29 Hz). Tuning that volume down to 26 Hz and applying the boost at Fb from the B380 is a mild assisted alignment (for a 6th order Butterworth assited alignment according to Keele one would tune that volume down to ~ 20 Hz, 29 Hz * 1/sqrt(2), and apply the high pass bump filter at that frequency). One can "cheat" with the stock 4430 by closing one of the ports and applying a high pass bump filter at ~ 24 Hz. The nice thing about the stock B380 is that it doesn't suffer much power handling loss at all above resonance like a true B6 alignment would. Probably why JBL went with it instead of trying to go solid to 20 Hz.

RED = Stock B380 without BX63
    GRN = Stock B380 with BX63
    BLU = Stock B380 B6 tuned and assisted
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thread Information